Camelbak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

Which is the largest camelbak (or generic equivalent) that you can buy?

Something suitable for someone who can't pack light to use wild camping.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
RedBike said:
Which is the largest camelbak (or generic equivalent) that you can buy?

Something suitable for someone who can't pack light to use wild camping.

I can only speak of camelbak's rather than the competition having looked at dozens of the things last month. Do you mean biggest in terms of luggage capacity rather than bladder? If so you probably want one to consider of the non-cycling ones like a vantage 40 or an Alpine Explorer. The big bladdered cycling ones, like the H.O.S.S. (3L water + 23L) and the H.A.W.G. (3L + 18L) maybe don't have enough capacity for your intended use.

I have to say my HOSS is amazing, I can wear it all day on road or off and not notice it is there and the DVIS back panel doesn't seem to induce clammy back.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
darned good price for the el wotsit though! wisdh camelbaks carried big discounts.

You could just get a decent day sack /small rucksack and stick a platypus or other bladder in it. Fwiw I find the 'smaller than ideal route' forces me to leave stuff behind and pack light. Even so last Saturday I carried three multitools 100km which is totally over the top and a little dull.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Jonathan M said:
Buy whatever rucsac you want and then use a Camelback Unbottle which can hold up to 3 litres.

I've found out the hard way that its not quite that simple.

Most larger 'treking' rucksacks are too long. Your helmet catches on the top going downhill and the bottom overhangs the back of the saddle.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

addictfreak said:
I use one of these it has a 3 litre bladder and room to pack a few things for that longer trip. Used mine for a three day coast to coast and got everything i needed in it.
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id37434.html

I also have a smaller one which is basically just the bladder, for day rides

I will also be using mine for 3/4 day rides. I need to get a tent, sleeping bag, map, stove and clothes in there! -

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

addictfreak said:
Its not big enough for that!

I was only carrying clothing/food etc. Used B&B on a night time

The way I seem to pack I don't think ANY of them are big enough.

I can foresee a seatpost mounted pannier rack taking the big stuff like the sleeping bag. I'd rather I didn't use panniers though. They don't half get in the way while MTBing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
can you lash stuff to your top tube? 20 years ago I used to carry my tent that way and sleeping mat went in a bottle cage below the downtube (where it got covered in crap until I discovered polythene)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
my cammelbak HOSS has 3L water capacity and 23L luggage capacity, most of that is little nooks and crannies for small things, but i can carry all my wet gear, work clothes, 3l of water, locks and equipment such as pump and spare inner tubes easily on my way to work. has a fantastic strapping system so i barely feel the weight on my back as i cycle, and a great aero panel to stop my back from being sweaty when i stop.

But it costs over £100.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

GrumpyGreg said:
can you lash stuff to your top tube? 20 years ago I used to carry my tent that way and sleeping mat went in a bottle cage below the downtube (where it got covered in crap until I discovered polythene)

I don't have too much trouble finding a place in my bag for the camping mat, even the tent isn't too bad. It's the sleeping bag thats the trouble.

I have three choices...
A massive bag that I can fit everything inside. (heavy on my back)
Strap the sleeping bag to my handlebars (out of the way but it disrupts the handling of the bike).
Buy a pannier rack that mounts to the seat post and fasten the sleeping bag to that. (extra weight and in the way a bit on steep sections).

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

gaz said:
my cammelbak HOSS has 3L water capacity and 23L luggage capacity, most of that is little nooks and crannies for small things, but i can carry all my wet gear, work clothes, 3l of water, locks and equipment such as pump and spare inner tubes easily on my way to work. has a fantastic strapping system so i barely feel the weight on my back as i cycle, and a great aero panel to stop my back from being sweaty when i stop.

But it costs over £100.

At the moment the Camelbak Hoss is my prefered solution; but it's just a bit too much money.

I think i'm going to keep my eyes open for a cheap second-hand camelbak on ebay (rather unlikely).

My next choice is to buy this and a cheap seatpost mounted rack for some of the bulky but light items. (sleeping bag, fleese coat etc)
http://www.planetfear.com/item/Brand_lowe-alpine-rush-25_0_0_23573_1.html

Top Bottom