Camelbaks and others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just planning on doing some longer XC tracks on my mtn bike this spring and was thinking of replacing my Jack Wolfskin bumbag, which has the unfortunate habit of slipping down between me and the seat once it gets a bit of weight in it and we hit some rough ground.

I was looking at the Camelbak range and then noticed that Gelert do a hydration pack range as well, somewhat cheaper. Anyone got any experience of them. Also any suggestions as to what size and type of pack I should get for 30 mile trail rides in fairly remote country (Scottish Highlands).

bonj2

I have. I got a camelbak octane 14 only yesterday actually, 'cos i was fed up of my old decathlon shitter., £70-odd most places (like wiggle) but 55 quid in my LBS
camelbak%20octane%2014%20med.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crackle

You two commute with yours though don't you? I'm thinking I'd need the bladder and room for food, emergency kit, waterproof, map, torch and that's it.

What didn't you like about the Decathlon Bonj?

domtyler

Über Member
Crackle said:
You two commute with yours though don't you? I'm thinking I'd need the bladder and room for food, emergency kit, waterproof, map, torch and that's it.

I really don't like the way that people are now taking bonj so seriously. It is just wrong.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I dont' commute with mine. It's slim. There's room for the bladder and a few bits and pieces only. Or you can unzip the sides and it opens out a bit more for some waterproofs.

I use it mainly on long rides or for going up mountains.

They look good actually I was just perusing the website. And it might have solved a wee problem for me having spotted the kids ones. Good call Mr. Paul.

bonj2

Crackle said:

No, i don't commute with it. I use it for MTBing. The thing I didn't like about my decathlon one was that the chest strap had fallen off - it wasn't held on that well, and it didn't have side pockets, (didn't have any other pockets really apart from a 'net' type front bit in the main compartment). The zip on the front functions as a pocket when it's in 'small' mode, or unzip it all the way and the back spreads out and it becomes much larger.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Crackle said:
You two commute with yours though don't you?

I dont' commute with mine.

bonj said:
No, i don't commute with it.

One assumption, wrong twice. Wonder if I get extra muppet points for that.

Anyway, having just realized the nearest Decathlon is 6 hours away, it might be a while before I get to one.

I was looking at a Camelbak yesterday, unfortunately I forget which one now but it was about £32, while the one above was a £100. I saw the £32 one as I recoiled in horror from the £100 one. I don't know if that was a cycling one though and is there any difference in back system between cycling and non-cycling ones or is it just in the strapping and pockets?

mondobongo

Über Member
I found the Camelbak Mule ok for rides of about 30, but for full days out found I needed a bit more space and got a Hawg which was too big. Worth having a look at Dakine Hydration Packs as they get good reviews and look good.
Had a Decathlon one and found it a bit crappy lack of space bite valve leaked also tried a Aldi cheapy which was cheap. Given the length of time you will be using it and distance its one of those occasions when its worth spending that little bit more.

Dakine at a really good price

If you really want a Camelbak this is a good option

Top Bottom