camelbak's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I wouldn't use one for long distance road riding, would get a bit hot and sweaty with one sitting on your back for a long time

ASC1951

Guru
I found I don't use my Camelbak at all. It was just the job to start with, but after a few months I got fed up with a hot and sweaty back. No need for a saddlebag packed with bottles: I just use one bottle in its traditional cage and re-fill it when it's getting low. There's always water available.

You can see an advantage to a Camelbak off road, where a frame mounted bottle gets covered in clart.

mondobongo

Über Member
Last thing you want is all that weight on your back. Big days out two bottles one with an energy drink one with water you are never far from a refill in this day and age. Small saddlebag for tube and bits, jersey pockets for food and a spare layer or waterproof jobs a good un.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I used to use one on my commute but, as above, I got too fed up with a sweaty back and just carry 2 bottles instead.

I still use it on the MTB though, its a harder to lose on a violent descent and I get through a lot more fluid MTBing.

wafflycat

The only use my offspring has found for one, in relation to cycling, is using one on a long time trial, where he wants to be able to keep hydrated, yet still keep aero on the bike. So he's sometimes worn a small camelbak under his skinsuit. But even then, it's not ideal as it does lead to a sweaty, uncomfortable back.

Where he found one of great use was when he spent a couple of weeks in the Egyptian desert, on a conservation project. Walking for several hours at a time, in the desert, means keeping hydrated was a serious business. A camelbak had a very real use then, as the bladder was kept within his backpack, with the tube coming over his shoulder and he could sip as required, with ease, whilst being hands-free.

Keith Oates

Janner
I agree with the above comments, I find that water bottles are good and with some careful 'look out' can be replenished en route with no bother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U

User482

I much prefer using a camelbak to water bottles. They only weigh a couple of kilos or so when full, so the weight's hardly an issue.

Withnail

I prefer to use a Camelbak especially for long rides; I want to be riding, not worrying about where my next 0.75l of water is coming from! Never been bothered about a sweaty back either, I tend to find I sweat anyway when on the bike - it's meant to be exercise innit?!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
mondobongo said:
Last thing you want is all that weight on your back. Big days out two bottles one with an energy drink one with water you are never far from a refill in this day and age. Small saddlebag for tube and bits, jersey pockets for food and a spare layer or waterproof jobs a good un.

ditto.
Longer unsupported day rides then I use a Carradice Barley and an SQR mounting on my TCR1, works a treat....(I also like to carry a fair bit of food too :thumbsup:).

LLB

I've got one, and I don't like it. The taste with any drink in it is vile :tongue:

I'd far rather use the bottle on the downtube, or get a 2nd bottle carrier

Fixedwheelnut

I used one on the Mersey Roads 24h TT mainly because I only had one bottle cage on the bike I was using but found it quite comfortable, either that or the discomfort I felt everywhere else masked it. :angry:

Roger Livesy

I ve been using one over the winter . Partly because the 2 bikes I use lack bottle cages , but also because I can keep everything in one bag and just pick the bag up and go. Otherwise its a fiddle.

Suprisingly, I like it. It may be different in the summer.

Top Bottom