Camelot to lose the lottery license

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another organisation are taking over in 2024.

Some people stopped playing when the price of a ticket doubled. I didn't mind that too much because the prize for getting 3 balls went up from £10 to £25. But, something that only cost a pound sounds cheap-just like the attraction of pound shops.

The worst thing Camelot did was adding 10 more balls to the drum . It is a lot harder to win a prize with 59 balls.

It is one thing to say how much has been raised for good causes, but without the punters there would be nothing. Let's hope 'Allwyn' - the new licence holders will reduce the number of balls back to 49.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Can't really see them changing much. Its like a fool's tax, so many people want out of the system, that they'll keep playing. Myself included, but I keep it to a minimum. Would be better if more of the proceeds went to charity. I'm not really sure what percentage goes to now and to where.

Can't really see them changing much. Its like a fool's tax, so many people want out of the system, that they'll keep playing. Myself included, but I keep it to a minimum. Would be better if more of the proceeds went to charity. I'm not really sure what percentage goes to now and to where.

Why do you say you want more proceeds to go to charity if you don't know the percentages ?

Camelot say themselves -
95% to charity and winners
4% Operating costs
1% Profit to Camelot

Sounds like a good mix tbh - although I'd be more in favour if I won on it...

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Yes your right. Depends what the charities are. In the current climate I'd rather see it go to helping poorer people, as lets face it the current government appears to do nothing.

Then again it depends where you look on google, if you look at the first thing that comes up, you are indeed correct. I've looked now though 12 % lottery duty to the government. Who knows...

Of all money spent on National Lottery games, around 53% goes to the prize fund and 25% to "good causes"[2] as set out by Parliament (though some of this is considered by some to be a form of "stealth tax"[3] levied to support the National Lottery Community Fund, a fund constituted to support public spending).[4] 12% goes to the UK Government as lottery duty, 4% to retailers as commission, and a total of 5% to operator Camelot,[2] with 4% to cover operating costs and 1% as profit

Yes your right. Depends what the charities are. In the current climate I'd rather see it go to helping poorer people, as lets face it the current government appears to do nothing.

Then again it depends where you look on google, if you look at the first thing that comes up, you are indeed correct. I've looked now though 12 % lottery duty to the government. Who knows...

Of all money spent on National Lottery games, around 53% goes to the prize fund and 25% to "good causes"[2] as set out by Parliament (though some of this is considered by some to be a form of "stealth tax"[3] levied to support the National Lottery Community Fund, a fund constituted to support public spending).[4] 12% goes to the UK Government as lottery duty, 4% to retailers as commission, and a total of 5% to operator Camelot,[2] with 4% to cover operating costs and 1% as profit

Although 53% is the largest portion and goes to the prize fund, I feel that is the way it should be. The ticket buyers provide the cash.

There is a lot of greed amongst some people. It would be good if the prize fund was shared out with more players. Look at yesterday's euro results. One winner got 171 million pound.

Although 53% is the largest portion and goes to the prize fund, I feel that is the way it should be. The ticket buyers provide the cash.

There is a lot of greed amongst some people. It would be good if the prize fund was shared out with more players. Look at yesterday's euro results. One winner got 171 million pound.

What the blinking flip do you do with 171 million ??

I'd probably turn to evil like a Bond villain.

Years ago I got a temp job in a finance department of a regional supermarket chain as a data entry clerk. One job I did was entering the lottery take across all stores. As part of that I recorded how many pounds the chain retained to cover winnings and how much to cover their costs. Let's just say the costs part was a lot higher than 4p in the pound. It was the same figure across the chain so it was according to the way Camelot operated at the time. No idea if the ratios changed since then.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

It is the huge prizes that sell tickets. There are loads of local lotteries with much cheaper ticket prices, but the prizes are small in comparison to the National Lottery so they attract fewer players.

I wonder how many generations to squitter away £171 million by living a comfortable but not exactly extravagant life?

I think I'd try to set up a fund to look after as many generations after me as possible then spend a bit on myself then charity foundations for probably the majority.

I'd want to concentrate on medical research that is proportionately underfunded. I'm thinking motor neurone disease and similar. I mean hiv/aids and even certain cancers I think have had disproportionately more funding through charities, government and pharma than some. If like to be part of the adjustment. I think I read once that they'd have a cure for one such condition 10 years ago if it had as much funding per sufferer as his and canary through the 90s and noughties.

Of course even £171 million won't make much difference to medical research long term. You could spend that over 5 years easily!

Top Bottom