Camera reporting success

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
We all have different expectations from reporting things to the police and if you are satisfied with the actions taken then I respect that.

[old man mode]
I've been cycling for ~45 years and commuting by bike for about 20 years. I've experienced every variation of bad driving there is, including two hit & runs and an assault by a passenger leaning out of the window of a dangerously driven car. It was primarily the crap police response to the assault that convinced me to start using a camera.

Despite that, I have a deep respect for the police and I know how poorly resourced and overstretched they are. It is for that reason that I don't report every piece of careless driving that comes my way, I save involving the police for incidents that put me at real risk of harm. Having this high threshold of reporting means that, for those I do report, I expect a prosecution or a fixed penalty to follow.

In the 8 or so years since first getting a camera, and of the many hundreds of episodes of bad driving around me, I have reported a total of three incidents to the police:

First was a close pass, rejected initially by a young cop who wasn't interested; the car didn't hit me so he couldn't see the problem. Insistence on a face to face meeting with him and his supervisor resulted in the driver getting a £100 FPN and 3 points.

Second was a left hook which the police immediately acted upon and charged the driver. They did, however, try to steer me towards approving a driver awareness course but I said I preferred prosecution or at the very least a £100 FPN plus points. I'm still waiting to hear which route they chose.

Third was a close pass just last week. Police agree it was a S3 offence and will interview the driver. I'm waiting for them to try to convince me that a warning will suffice when they find the driver is a little old white-haired lady in her 70s.

I hope the above explains why I wouldn't regard the outcomes of your incidents a success.

Thanks for the explanation which I fully respect also.

In most cases I have been given the choice of whether to proceed beyond words of advice but the officer has explained that the driver has reviewed the footage, was shocked by how it appeared from my point of view & understood why it was dangerous, so I have been content to leave it there. If I encounter a repeat offender or a deliberate piece of malicious driving (and I know it only takes one bit of bad driving to do a cyclist in) then I will certainly follow your example.

@Arjimlad ,
Have you got a link to the webpage?
I can't seem to find it.
ta

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This chap is getting a letter from the police (which is better than nothing happening) and if it happens again I hope for more.
VX17 YDD.jpg

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Apparently I need to get an admission that he was on a live call for it to be taken to NIP/ticket. Bah.

Top Bottom