Cameras on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Bonsoir!

Need some advice. As I over-excitedly posted the other day, we're off to India in October cycling (yippeeee). The question is, where's the best place to keep my camera? At the moment, it's in a side pocket of my pannier bag thing, but to take a photo I have to stop, get it, take photo etc, which is fine for posed photos but not so fine to catch the heron in flight or the baby rabbit at the side of the road.

Anyone got advice??

friedel

Cathryn said:
Bonsoir!

Need some advice. As I over-excitedly posted the other day, we're off to India in October cycling (yippeeee). The question is, where's the best place to keep my camera? At the moment, it's in a side pocket of my pannier bag thing, but to take a photo I have to stop, get it, take photo etc, which is fine for posed photos but not so fine to catch the heron in flight or the baby rabbit at the side of the road.

Anyone got advice??

Do you have a handlebar bag? That's where we keep ours and it's reasonably easy to reach.

Another idea, depending on how heavy/big your camera is, is to mount it on your handlebars using any number of gadgets. We bought an Ultrapod that fits perfectly onto my bike on the top of the headset, with its velcro straps. That way I can use it to shoot moving video and also I can literally "rip" it off the bike quickly if I want to. I thought the vibration would affect the camera (a little compact Sony) but one year later and it's still fine.

Road Fiddler

You could get yourself a bumbag (i hate that name but better than a fanny pack that our cosines use) and keep the camera in that along with other valuables, least that way you have it on you at all times whether on or off your bike.

I often end up wearing my camera around my chest on a long strap like a shoulder bag. When the camera is not in use i through it around so its on my back and it sits there quite comfortably even when on the bike.

friedel

Road Fiddler said:
You could get yourself a bumbag (i hate that name but better than a fanny pack that our cosines use) and keep the camera in that along with other valuables, least that way you have it on you at all times whether on or off your bike.

I often end up wearing my camera around my chest on a long strap like a shoulder bag. When the camera is not in use i through it around so its on my back and it sits there quite comfortably even when on the bike.

We have tried this and it really didn't work for us, the camera kept swinging around. We also got a bag that goes diagonally over the shoulder and around but it just got hot and sweaty. On the other hand, the guy that recommended the bag to us (made by Olympus, I think, the Slingshot or something) swore it was the best thing ever. I guess you just have to try it to know if it works for you.

Road Fiddler

Cathryn said:
I was thinking about the long strap slung round the body. Does that not bump too badly?? The whole sweat thing puts me off the bumbag idea...

I find if i have the camera high up on my back so it sits on my spine on a short strap it sits there fine. If you have the strap long and the camera near your waist it will just fall off and hangs annoyingly by your side.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think Friedel's right - I need to have a try. I'll try having it higher up my back, thanks Road Fiddler!

Road Fiddler

You could also add a stabilizer strap. this would run from the strap under the opposite arm of the shoulder the strap is on back to the strap. You can make them yourself by using these http://www.optech-online.co.uk/lst76.htm

Another option is rucksack type straps so you wear the camera in front of you similar to a baby carrier. The straps on these sort of things are thin and light unlike on baby carriers and rucksacks. Here's a link http://www.optech-online.co.uk/lst79.htm

orbiter

Keith Oates said:
The bumbag idea is OK and I use one a lot but not for the camera as I find in hot weather the bag and it's contents get wet with sweat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I've used a bumbag for a (small) camera in Cuba at 35-40 C with no sweat problem apart from myself being soaked all the time. I had the bag at my hip where the camera was easily accessible and probably drier than on my back. Others on the same trip had small cameras in a jersey pocket (which I use when touring nowadays) or in a pouch on the straps of a Camelback - which might be useful in India. The only SLR was in a bar bag which seemed ideal for quick access and better than harnesses or shoulder straps.

Pete

Brock

I wear combat shorts on tour, and the camera (a largish 'compact') lives happily in one of the side pockets. I can grab this, turn it on and take a shot while riding and peddling quite happily. If you are talking about an SLR with a decent sized lens then I've no idea ;)

Bigtallfatbloke

I have a pockert sized minolta Dimage xt, I kept it in my bar bag, or in my jacket pocket which has a zip on it. You might want to put th ecamera in a plastic bag in case it rains.

...just one thing...if you see a Tiger....dont fumble around for your camera...GTF out of there!

P.H

Über Member
If it's a compact camera, have a look at the tri-bags, there's a few types, smaller than a handlebar bag and fit to the frame. Here's an example;
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11335

Topeak also make a small handlebar bag that converts to a bum-bag for off the bike.
http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.as...ct%20Bar%20Bag

If the camera is very small, there's also a few handlebar mounted phone pouches available, would it fit in one of these?

Whatever you get, IMO keeping it easy to get at is essential. When I used a SLR I missed hundreds of good photo opportunities, because it was too much hassle to unpack it. Now I travel with a compact digital, I have far more photos I'm happy with despite it being such an inferior camera.

Top Bottom