Campag 9 - 10 speed issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ejls2

Hi all,

in amidst all the furore over Campag's 11 speed razzamatazz I was hoping someone might be able to give me some info about humble 9 speed drivechains!

I have a winter bike which I am replacing a few components on. It currently has 9 speed campag kit but one day I would like to make the move up to 10 speed veloce-ish level kit.

I currently have mirage 9 speed shifters, centaur 10 speed from mech, veloce 10 speed chainset, record 9 speed chain and xenon 9 speed rear mech (aka a bit of a hodgepodge!). It works fine but the xenon mech is dying rapidly and I need a replacement.

Would I be able to buy a current (or say last years) 10 speed rear mech and use it with my 9 speed shifters or will this all go horribly wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Ed

A 10-speed rear mech may work but you'd probably have to do a bit of faffing about to get it working smoothly. Best bet would be to get a 9-speed rear mech and save yourself some grief. Ebay is probably your best bet for starters

Will1985

Über Member
I'll be in the same boat over the New Year I hope. The answer is to get a 10s chain, 10s jockey wheels, a 10s cassette and then fiddle around to change the RH ergo ratchet (Mercian cycles can even do this bit for you).

9 and 10 speeds use the same geometry so you can do this. 10 to 11 won't be possible in this respect I believe.

Also, keeping your current ergos will allow you to shift several cogs at once if you like that. I have Xenon which is just like the shifting on current ergos.

OP
OP
E

ejls2

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I think I may well just get a mirage derailleur and give that a go and then upgrade the rest when I've got the cash.

Cheers,

Ed

Proto

Legendary Member
Smokin Joe said:
It will work perfectly.

I am running a ten speed Xenon rear with 9 speed Mirage shifters, and ten speed Veloce shifters with nine speed Veloce rear on the other bike. No issues whatsoever.

Why don't you swap the rear mechs over?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Proto said:
Veloce on best? It can't be much of a bike. :ohmy:
Well it's a step above Dura Ace :sad:

Top Bottom