Campag abandons entry level groupsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ghitchen

Actually they are only dropping one groupset because they have introduced the new Super-Record. Don't think that Chorus, Record etc are staying the same and Super-Record is an additional "super" groupset - in reality Super-Record is closer to replacing 2008 Record at the top end and everything else is moving down a bit, e.g 2009 Chorus brakes have lost the bearings and have exposed pivot bolts, Record gear levers are not carbon, Record rear dérailleur has lost the titanium hanger bolt.

Rob S

ghitchen said:
Actually they are only dropping one groupset because they have introduced the new Super-Record. Don't think that Chorus, Record etc are staying the same and Super-Record is an additional "super" groupset - in reality Super-Record is closer to replacing 2008 Record at the top end and everything else is moving down a bit, e.g 2009 Chorus brakes have lost the bearings and have exposed pivot bolts, Record gear levers are not carbon, Record rear dérailleur has lost the titanium hanger bolt.

Yep I said most of that earlier. Super Record is really returning Record to the level it was in 2006...with it's full compliment of Ti bolts and in the case of the rear mech some ceramic jockeys. You could've made your own Super Record brakes without the logo as early as September-October 2006 by buying the then new Skeleton Record brakes and putting the Ti cable anchor assembly from your 2000-2006 Record brakes in them.

I'll be really interested to see if 2009 Centaur reverts back to alloy levers and mech. As we know they are staying 10 speed I doubt it would receive a new outer rear mech body part that the top 3 groups are getting as that may affect the geometry and I doubt they would keep the moulds required for the old carbon part just for the 4th level group.

They are dropping two groupsets but I reckon only the cheapest level will be truly dropped...ie Xenon...as Veloce will become what is currently the Mirage level.

It's not the first time that Xenon/Avanti has been dropped...in 2000 the entry level group was Mirage but the cranks (both double and triple) and the brakes came from Veloce. The next year Mirage got their own brakes because Veloce got shoes/holders. Xenon returned in 2002 and I expect a new budget group will come back in 2011.

Edit: I'll answer my own question....Centaur Ergo will be carbon fibre.

http://www.campyonly.com/images/rumors/2008/wpe24.jpg

yenrod

alecstilleyedye said:
nowt, imo. i was talking in terms of commercial common sense

Well, in terms of practical common sense - STi's are a whole lot easier esp. when on the drops!

Shimano know this and made the smaller lever action lighter - so you can change to harder gear by your finger nail now.

The actual use of Campag..does not appeal at all!

Mortiroloboy

llllllll said:
I hope Veloce does come down in price a bit, I've just started switching my commuter over to Campag (after yet more Shi(t)mano parts failing). I was planning on using a mix of Xenon and Mirage, don't really want to stretch to Veloce for the commuter, especailly as the only difference seems to be finish.

www.merlincycles.co.uk Veloce groupset currently £225, according to my LBS he can't even buy it in at that price, it's nearly £200 off list price.

Top Bottom