Campag bottom bracket length...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rabbit

Regular
Does anyone know what bottom bracket axle length I need for a 1970s Campagnolo Record chain set? They seem to come in 112 or 114? Hillary Stone website suggests 114 is for chainsets built after 1978 and 112 is for pre-78 - but given that they are both doubles will it make any difference? Thanks -

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Does anyone know what bottom bracket axle length I need for a 1970s Campagnolo Record chain set? They seem to come in 112 or 114? Hillary Stone website suggests 114 is for chainsets built after 1978 and 112 is for pre-78 - but given that they are both doubles will it make any difference? Thanks -

If I were you I would try to identify using this.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
This is a nightmare in a bubblecar area!

The date of the change was 1977 ( some of both in that year) see number in diamond on the crank for year.

Firstly the chainline will be altered if you use the wrong axle. I haven't tried it but if you used a 112mm axle with post 1977 chainset then wouldn't the chain rub on the frame? It may be ok the other way around.

Secondly the spindle taper in those days is not the same as ISO or JIS these days. So you will need an original spindle or a Phil Woods type alternative.

Thirdly the spindles (axles) differed - there were two types . There were BB's with thick walled cups and BB's with thin walled cups. Accordingly the spaces between the races on the spindle varied.

You need to have a thin walled spindle for thin walled BB cups!.

See bottom of this page for the latter two points and more dating info.

http://www.bicycleclassics.com/bottom.html

ps see very bottom re my first point.

pps Have you checked the cranks for cracking? Super Records of that era were notorious for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom