Campag Centaur issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

I have a slight issue with my Campag Centaur chainset. I noticed recently on a hard ride, mainly when sprinting, i've started getting a ticking/clicking sound, which i think is coming from the bottom bracket area.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? It only seems to be happening when the cranks are under pressure.

Thanks for any help.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've had that kind of noise from a loose bottom bracket, a worn bottom bracket, a loose crank, worn cleats, pedals that needed some lube ...

The hardest to track down was when the end of the front derailleur cable started contacting the rear wheel. It only did it on when the cable end was nearest to the tyre and when putting in an effort hard enough to deflect the frame!

That reminds me - I was getting a ticking/clicking sound from the bottom bracket area of my Cannondale on Saturday!

vorsprung

Veteran
I used to have a 2007 centaur chainset
In many ways it was a good bit of engineering but it did suck in dirt like a vacuum cleaner
It would tick as you describe when new and dirty
Take the whole thing to bits, remove the cups, clean everything, regrease, reassemble...no tick
As it got older it stopped doing the noise, when this happens probably a sign the bearings are shot
I understand that newer Centaur Chainsets have better sealing on the bearings

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If you have UT then it's probably the BB cups which have worked slightly loose. I pop a bit of PTFE tape on mine to keep them nice and tight.

Top Bottom