Campag centaur vs Shimano 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boltsy74

Regular
Considering buying Ribble bike, and the groupset options are Campag centaur vs Shimano 105, Campag comes with Khamsin wheels, whilst the shimano comes with Mavic Aksium wheels, just wondering what people thought was the better option before I take the plunge.

Thanks Paul

Shimano for me. I have Campag Veloce on my commuter and I don't like it TBH, too agricultural.

Apart from this foray into Campag I've always used Shimano. My CAAD is full DA, and while the new DA is not as good as the older versions I still far prefer it to Campag.

I know you can't at Ribble, but perhaps you could visit Evans or similar and try a bike with each groupset before you buy.

If not, and assuming you have previous experience I'd say stick with what you know. If you don't have experience of either then toss a coin and go for it :thumbsup:

Chrisc

Guru
I'll go the other way just to throw a spanner in. Veloce on one bike and athena on the other. I find em far smoother than shimano, sweetest shifts ever for me.
Then I agree with Smokey, stick with what you know or toss that coin!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have used both Khamsins (with a Campag setup) and Aksiums, with a current SRAM Rival setup. I also have 1 or 2 bikes with complete and partial 105. I would take 105 / SRAM over Campag all day long, personally and Aksiums wipe the floor with Khamsins. There will be somebody along shortly to disagree and rave about Campag. It's just how it goes... horses for courses.

Alun

Guru
I've got Centaur on one road bike and 105 on the other, not much between them.
Campag is more "clunky" or "positive" depending how you look at it, I like it better for a road bike, but if you want to chop and change or cascade parts to another bike, or want to use MTB cassettes/rear derailleurs then it's shimano.

Top Bottom