Campag Ergo QS - can someone help clarify for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
I've heard/read all sorts about the 'QS' ergos and I think I need to just ask exactly what it is I need to know rather than stay confused.

I gather that the QS system behaves much in the same way as Shimano sti's but I'm struggling to establish if the front mech can still be trimmed after the indexed shifting. It seems that some models do and some don't but nobody anywhere makes it clear.

QS aside - which post 2006 model 10 spd ergos can still trim the front mech?

It's for the other half's bike to replace 8 spd Soras so we can fit a bar bag without hassle.

Rob S

QS makes shifting the front mech lighter and easier through a slightly adjusted geometry of the mech and something in the lever....it has nothing to do with the reduced multishifting or trimming function of the Escape mechanism equipped Ergos of 2007-8 ie Centaur and lower.

For 2009 normal service for even Veloce is resumed as an option.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I don't know if this directly answers your question, but...

I have Campag Xenon QS levers. (And Shimano 8-speed and triple chainset - you've already sussed that they'll work together). It takes two or three clicks to get from one chainring to the next. "Trimming" can be achieved by clicking up or down one or two notches when necessary, without going all the way to the next ring.

Where exactly the clicks occur across the travel of the mech is critical, but can be adjusted by fractionally adjusting cable tension until they occur in the right places.

Chose them for the same reason you're after 'em - no messy cables between the bars, and a lot better looking than STI, too. Not everyone likes the thumb button, though.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
Right, so all campag levers can trim the front mech regardless but the Centaur and lower ergos require a little tinkering to ensure that the indexed shift or 'third click' is in the right place before trimming either way?

Phil - are you using a shimano front mech or did you have to change to a QS triple mech?

Campag, whilst nice stuff, is a right pain in the arse when it comes to compatibility and continuity of product!

Joe

Über Member
With Centaur and below '07 and '08 Ergopowers you can the upshift the front mech with multiple clicks but downshifting is more restrictively indexed (one click for each chainring). With all 2009 models, and '07/'08 Chorus/Record there are multiple clicks in either direction ala '06
You can still trim the more restrictive versions, but set up can be a bit more fidly.
I have '08 Mirage's on an 8 speed triple shimano system and it shifts fine front and back.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Shimano front mech here, and a cheapie at that. Works fine, though.

What Joe said about trimming is right - you can only trim in small steps one way. If you need to trim the other way, you have to go down and come up again. If you see what I mean. I don't find myself doing that very often, though.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
Thanks for clearing that up for me guys, very much appreciated. As it's for the other half, I just know that something like that would really niggle her, I'll keep my eyes open for 2006 or earlier second-hand or possibly go for 2009 if I'm feeling flush (although I don't think they look quite as comfortable!).

Top Bottom