Campag Neutron wheels. Which tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickwill

I need to replace the Conti 4000 tyres on my wheels. I put the current tyres on when they were well used, and got them on without too much bother. Whilst tempted to put new 4000s on, I'm concerned that I might struggle to fit them when new. I also worry about getting them on after a puncture when miles from anywhere. Has anybody any suggestions or comments re tyre choice?

I was recommended Schwalbe tyres for this particular purpose. On my own Nucleons (now that's going back), I find that Vittoria Evo CX's are supple enough to go on without problems. But they're not cheap.

Don't ever be tempted to put Rubinos on them. They're absolute fuckers to get on.

OP
OP
N

nickwill

I've put some Pro Race 2s on. They went on easily enough. I've used them in the past and they rode brilliantly, but didn't last long.
Did 60 miles on them on Sunday and thought they felt pretty good.
Its funny that you mentioned Vittoria tyres, because I nearly bought some. Thank God I didn't!

AcademicX

I use Schwalbe Ultremo's on my Campag Neutron Ultras, reasonably easy to get on and off (although I haven't had an on-the-road puncture since I fitted them in March).

The Ultremo's are not the cheapest tyres but they've lasted far better than the GP4000's I used to use.

Monty Dog

Try using a wider tyre such as the Pro Race or Vottorias in 25mm - the wider carcass IME makes it easier to manipulate the tyre and tube around the rim, even thuough the bead is the same size. Some 25mm tyres I can remove without levers. 25mm tyres give a smoother ride, better grip for very little weight penalty.

OP
OP
N

nickwill

Monty Dog said:
Try using a wider tyre such as the Pro Race or Vottorias in 25mm - the wider carcass IME makes it easier to manipulate the tyre and tube around the rim, even thuough the bead is the same size. Some 25mm tyres I can remove without levers. 25mm tyres give a smoother ride, better grip for very little weight penalty.

I might struggle with clearances with a 25mm tyre. There is a miniscule gap between tyre and seatpost even with a 23. The 23mm Pro Race went on reasonably easily. :tongue:

Top Bottom