Campag old-style shifter repair / service query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bobdaspider

bobdaspider

Regular
Bought the little springs ( like an open P shape ) for my record levers from Mercian a few years ago. Are they still selling spares?

I've read that it's the springs which in most cases are the cause of issues with the shifters but as the YT video by SickBiker shows, replacing these springs isn't straight-forward. I'm thinking that if I do find someone that will service the shifter, I may then try to get hold of the springs and attempt to service the shifter myself. If successful - great. If not, I can then send all the shifter parts I've removed to person that does service them etc.

OP
OP
bobdaspider

bobdaspider

Regular
The man at Mercian (?Doug) was incredibly helpful on the phone 3-4 years ago when the spring and ratchet broke on my Mirage 10 speed. It was proper old-fashioned service.

I had already identified the parts from the exploded diagram and watched good YouTube videos of what to do. He confirmed that nothing else was needed, and posted the parts, surprisingly inexpensive. He told me to give him a call if I got stuck (I didn’t). I think Mercian would also service the shifter themselves. Good luck

Hi Expresso - thanks for this, when you say Mercian - do you mean Mercian Cycles? If so, will contact them and see if somebody called Doug still works for them 🤔

Hi Expresso - thanks for this, when you say Mercian - do you mean Mercian Cycles? If so, will contact them and see if somebody called Doug still works for them 🤔

Yes, Mercian Cycles in Derby.

My son had told me about them as he needed Campag shifter spares. He too was impressed. Two years ago I sent my daughter's frame to Mercian for re-enamelling...different guy on the phone but very helpful. The new paintwork was a wonder to look at.

@bobdaspider - I have a set of 9 speed mirage shifters in my spares box which you're welcome to if you donate the postage cost to charity. They're off my late dad's bike - well worn, but working fine when I removed them. Let me know if you want them.

Attachments

• IMG_5386.jpeg
    IMG_5386.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5387.jpeg
    IMG_5387.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
bobdaspider

bobdaspider

Regular
@bobdaspider - I have a set of 9 speed mirage shifters in my spares box which you're welcome to if you donate the postage cost to charity. They're off my late dad's bike - well worn, but working fine when I removed them. Let me know if you want them.

Hi Lost - thanks very much for the message and very generous offer - which is very much appreciated! I'd be delighted to accept your offer. I live in Jersey. If you email me, I can give you details of my address etc. Thanks again Lost!

Mod edit: please note that we do not allow emails to be published on the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom