Campag old-style shifter repair / service query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobdaspider

Regular
Can anyone suggest where in the UK, I can get my right-hand Campag 9 speed Mirage shifter repaired / serviced? I do have two right-hand shifters - one currently in use and the other that needs to be serviced. Thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Graeme_FK
"Velotech Cycling Ltd offers modular training for cycle mechanics to industry-recognised standards. All of our product-specific training is signed off by the manufacturers themselves. We are the main Factory-Appointed UK Service and Technical Centre for Campagnolo. "GFK" is also Technical Director and a lead mechanic at The Service Corps, providers of Services de Course to races and other competitive and non-competitive cycling events in the UK and Europe"

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do it yourself? :whistle:

A spring went in my 10 year old 10-speed Chorus RH shifter. I found a video on YouTube showing how to service it. I had to watch the video a few times to feel confident doing the repair, but it went well and the shifter has been reliable for several years since then.

OP
OP
bobdaspider

bobdaspider

Regular
Do it yourself? :whistle:

A spring went in my 10 year old 10-speed Chorus RH shifter. I found a video on YouTube showing how to service it. I had to watch the video a few times to feel confident doing the repair, but it went well and the shifter has been reliable for several years since then.

Hi ColinJ - thanks and I've seen a YT video by SickBiker:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLBFtIPOIJc
- which is really good BUT as you say, you'd need to watch the video many (many) times - wow!

OP
OP
bobdaspider

bobdaspider

Regular
Good Luck. They are all very tricky to repair. I'd also find out IF you can get spares before pulling to bits.

Yes. I think it's going to be safer to get it serviced - so many parts and which have to be put back in the right order!

OP
OP
bobdaspider

bobdaspider

Regular
Be very careful not to lose the little bits that tend to fly off in all directions when you loosen them! :okay:

Yes - getting it serviced is probably best. The shifter - which was the original, was changing gear down but was not 100% when changing, so managed to get a spare on eBay - which worked fine and I'm still using but would be good to get the other shifter serviced / repaired so I'd have a fully functional spare

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes - getting it serviced is probably best. The shifter - which was the original, was changing gear down but was not 100% when changing, so managed to get a spare on eBay - which worked fine and I'm still using but would be good to get the other shifter serviced / repaired so I'd have a fully functional spare

A liberal soaking with WD40, and or GT85 afterwards. Also old cables cause problems. I think you'll struggle to find somewhere to service one.

OP
OP
bobdaspider

bobdaspider

Regular
Yeah - unfortunately, the setup I have is not as common as other groupset options - which makes things tricky...

Sallar55

Veteran
Bought the little springs ( like an open P shape ) for my record levers from Mercian a few years ago. Are they still selling spares?

Can anyone suggest where in the UK, I can get my right-hand Campag 9 speed Mirage shifter repaired / serviced? I do have two right-hand shifters - one currently in use and the other that needs to be serviced. Thanks

The man at Mercian (?Doug) was incredibly helpful on the phone 3-4 years ago when the spring and ratchet broke on my Mirage 10 speed. It was proper old-fashioned service.

I had already identified the parts from the exploded diagram and watched good YouTube videos of what to do. He confirmed that nothing else was needed, and posted the parts, surprisingly inexpensive. He told me to give him a call if I got stuck (I didn’t). I think Mercian would also service the shifter themselves. Good luck

Top Bottom