Campag to shimano

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookie2

I am considering changing my drive chain from campagnolo to shimano. Obviously I need to change the cassette and rear derailleur. But do I need to change the chain rings and front derailleur? Bearing in mind that it is friction shift on down tube leavers
Thanks

iluvmybike

Über Member
With down tube levers you should be ok - you'll need to change rear wheel freehub though as Shimano cassettes don't fit on Campag freehubs and vice-versa

OP
OP
cookie2

cookie2

Could be an expensive exercise. Can I ask why?

Vintage raleigh. 40 years old. Original wheels, and they are cracking in several places so I think they need replacing. It is a 6 speed rear free wheel (?) If I change the wheels, I am thinking about changing the drive chain as well. Reviewing my options before deciding whether to sell it or spend money on it.

Attachments

• 20230531_153824.jpg
    20230531_153824.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230531_153844.jpg
    20230531_153844.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
cookie2

cookie2

With down tube levers you should be ok - you'll need to change rear wheel freehub though as Shimano cassettes don't fit on Campag freehubs and vice-versa

Thank you for your reply. I realise I will need to change freehub, derailleur and chain. Wandering whether a shimano chain would work on the current chainrings

Ajax Bay

Guru
I am considering changing my drive chain from campagnolo to shimano. Obviously I need to change the cassette and rear derailleur. But do I need to change the chain rings and front derailleur? Bearing in mind that it is friction shift on down tube leavers
Vintage Raleigh. 40 years old. Original wheels . . . It is a 6 speed rear free wheel
This frame will have a 126mm OLD so you ain't getting a freehub in there.
New wheel necessary? Needs to fit that OLD: so freewheel hub.
If you want, you can bend the rear (steel) triangle to accommodate a 130mm OLD wheel and a freehub/cassette (choose your speed: friction shifting).
https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
And a 6sp block is a 6sp block: make matters not (friction shifting).
Change the RD if you want. Nothing else needs changing. It's your fingers doing the shifting (not indexed).
Chainset and chain: if serviceable: leave as is.

OP
OP
cookie2

cookie2

This frame will have a 126mm OLD so you ain't getting a freehub in there.
New wheel necessary? Needs to fit that OLD: so freewheel hub.
If you want, you can bend the rear (steel) triangle to accommodate a 130mm OLD wheel and a freehub/cassette (choose your speed: friction shifting).
https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
And a 6sp block is a 6sp block: make matters not (friction shifting).
Change the RD if you want. Nothing else needs changing. It's your fingers doing the shifting (not indexed).
Chainset and chain: if serviceable: leave as is.

OK. Thanks. Very tempted to sell.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want to sell you might be better off breaking it up.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If you want to sell you might be better off breaking it up.
That would be a shame..

OP - looks like a nice bike (Clubman?) - have you considered just rebuilding both wheels with new rims? That way you could keep the rest of the drivetrain.

As Ajax mentions another alternative would be to ease out the rear end to fit some more modern gear in there; and while I'd love a retro-modern build such as this, I think it would be a shame to do that to yours as it looks pretty original and in nice nick.

OP
OP
cookie2

cookie2

That would be a shame..

OP - looks like a nice bike (Clubman?) - have you considered just rebuilding both wheels with new rims? That way you could keep the rest of the drivetrain.

As Ajax mentions another alternative would be to ease out the rear end to fit some more modern gear in there; and while I'd love a retro-modern build such as this, I think it would be a shame to do that to yours as it looks pretty original and in nice nick.

It is absolutely IMMACULATE. I'm considering all options. I was keen to keep it as original, but now the rims need replacing, and the spokes are not stainless steel then I feel that new wheels are the way to go. Tyres (original) could really do with being replaced as well. If I go 700c, there could be quite knock on effect. Including brakes

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unfortunately @cookie2 you won't get much for it like that :sad:.
Most looking for a vintage bike to ride will want it ready to ride. They won't want to be replacing stuff at more expense.
Lovely bike but needs the money spending to be able to be used so you really need to decide if you want it. If you don't want it selling is the only option.
I would replace the rims and keep it as is if it were me but it's your choice if course. Opening out the rear triangle and fitting more up to date stuff would be worthwhile IMHO but it's your call.

Sharky

Guru
If planning on selling, check that the seat pillar and handlebar stem are not seized.

Re the wheels, are they modern 700mm wheels or old 27" wheels. Don't know when the 700's became the norm.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Vintage raleigh. 40 years old. Original wheels, and they are cracking in several places so I think they need replacing. It is a 6 speed rear free wheel (?) If I change the wheels, I am thinking about changing the drive chain as well. Reviewing my options before deciding whether to sell it or spend money on it.

If you want a replacement wheel, I've got one that might be suitable. Yours if you want it.
Probably mid-80s, Mavic MA2 rim on a Campag hub. 36 spokes. PRetty sure it's 700c and 126mm.
The QR is missing.

If you peer through the murk you can see the Campy logo on the hub.
1694135344679.png

1694135484889.png

Needs a good polish and an overhaul of the bearings / inspection of the bearing surfaces.
Those spoke nipples might be siezed too

If you didn't spot it, there's a front wheel too, although I think that rim is in poor condition.
Will examine both tomorrow.

Top Bottom