Campag toClaris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Thinking about changing my 9 Speed Campag toClaris 10 speed.group set The query I have is Will the rear hanger thread accept the Shimano mec The bike is a fairly old aluminium giant.I realise I will need to change the rear wheel for a Shimano free hub

Thanks in advance for any advice

Claris is 8 speed, do you mean Tiagra or the older 105? As far as I am aware the hex bolt is a standard size regardless of make of group set you are running

Ajax Bay

Guru
Edit: Answering the OP (and not commenting beyond what's offered above) Yes: the threaded 'hole' in the hanger/frame dropout if steel must have about the highest 'compatibility score' of almost any connection on a a bike 'ever' (Discuss!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
Changing from Campag to Shimano is like dumping Michelle Pfeiffer so you can go out with Ena Sharples.

The main problem I have is Campag cassettes in 9 speed only go as far as I can see to 29 Ihave triple chain rings 52 42 32 One thing I haven’t looked at is looking at changing the square taper to something smaller
This might present a problem as the hanger i braised on and I’m not sure if there is enough adjustment to go much lower Edit Should have been Tiagra not Claris

Just as an aside at 80 Ena Sharples looks a better prospect than Michelle Pfeiffer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If you need lower than 32-29, can you change the inner chain ring - you don't need to replace the whole chainset. the front D should cope with a smaller inner, it wouldn't cope with a larger outer if its braised on with minimal adjustment. Spa cycles are good for replacement chainrings

even change to 30-29 will be noticeable and much less that 1;1 on the road is getting to walking speed territory, lower than that is into loaded touring bikes and off road MTB territory or seriously old people with dodgy knees, any of which may apply of course.

but you are correct I think 9 speed campag or Miche compatible cassettes didn't go higher than 29T

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
If you need lower than 32-29, can you change the inner chain ring - you don't need to replace the whole chainset. the front D should cope with a smaller inner, it wouldn't cope with a larger outer if its braised on with minimal adjustment. Spa cycles are good for replacement chainrings

even change to 30-29 will be noticeable and much less that 1;1 on the road is getting to walking speed territory, lower than that is into loaded touring bikes and off road MTB territory or seriously old people with dodgy knees, any of which may apply of course.

but you are correct I think 9 speed campag or Miche compatible cassettes didn't go higher than 29T

Thanks for that .I will have a look at Spa

Top Bottom