Campagnola cassette Daccordi 50th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madmac14

Hi all, this question relates to my dear old uncles Daccordi 50th. As he's no longer able to ride, I've been offered the chance to use this in place of my own hack. Now this is a truly lovely bike and in exceptional condition for its age, but the only downside is the cassette on the back. Its a true high speed road going version which would be great for the likes of East Anglia, but in Wales, its a killer and even in its lowest gear is pulling a ratio to high to tackle anything but modest slopes. My question is therefore whether it'd be easier to drop in a replacement cassette for the hills, buy a another wheel and suitable cassette for the hills or simply use my current hack and keep this one for best when I know the terrain is going to be OK. From my understanding its currently fitted with the Campagnola Recordset. The bike also has Delta brakes which are just about OK (just). Looking at the bike, its viurtally like it came out of the showroom as the only change its had has been new tubes, tyres and handlebar tape.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Get a spare Hill-climbing rear wheel, you may also need a longer chain.
This gives you the option to keep the bike "Original" by swapping the wheel back, I'd also avoid locking it up anywhere and ride the old hack if you have to leave a bike anywhere. ^_^

OP
OP
madmac14

madmac14

Thanks raleighnut, kind of confirms my initial thoughts as the simplest way forward. Forgot about the chain length though so that's certainly an excellent point to remember before going down this route. The Daccordi will be for special runs so will never be left unattended.. :-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do look after it. Have a look round for larger cassettes/freewheels. You may want to change the 42 ring to a 39 and Ribble stock TA and stronglight rings that fit.

Don't use it as a hack.

PS Delta brakes looked amazing, but were dodgy stopping. I would suggest new pads as a minimum.

OP
OP
madmac14

madmac14

Hi fossyant, thanks for the tips. The current hack will remain in service, the Daccordi will be more of an occasional weekend ride. I'll bear in mind the pads comments as I must admit the current ones didn't inspire much confidence on a steepish downhill run...!!

I'll try and upload a piccy or two as the bike really is as pretty as a picture and certainly a nice change from all the current slab sided ally and carbon models.

Some photo's
WP_20140708_010.jpg

Saddle says turbo on it. it had new handlebar tape a year or so ago and a replacement ally bottle cage oh and some new michelin rubber but I think that is about it. The rest looks pretty original.
WP_20140708_012.jpg

Stamped as number 375 but I think the photo is clear enough

WP_20140708_014.jpg

The front chainwheels say 52/42 and pretty much everything here is stamped with Campagnola.
Pic below (Delta brakes)....
WP_20140708_006.jpg
Wheels say Mavic and I have no reason to think my unc changed them at all. The rear cassette is a 13 up to 24 I think.
WP_20140708_005.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
madmac14

madmac14

Do look after it. Have a look round for larger cassettes/freewheels. You may want to change the 42 ring to a 39 and Ribble stock TA and stronglight rings that fit.

Don't use it as a hack.

PS Delta brakes looked amazing, but were dodgy stopping. I would suggest new pads as a minimum.
Just had a look at the ribble 39 chain ring. This looks like it might be just he job if I can combine with a new cassette/wheel/chain, might give a good range for the hilly bits around here.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A real steel beauty :biggrin:, go for a 14-28 and drop the 42 to a 38/39 should cope a bit better then when you take it somewhere flatter you've still got the 52

Top Bottom