Campagnolo Centaur chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just get the second cheapest chains in the SRAM ranges for both of my road bikes, one of which is 9 speed and the other 10 speed. I have never had a problem with them.

I never pay £60 for Campagnolo cassettes either. I put Veloce on my Basso (foul weather 9 speed bike) and I think I am still using the original Chorus cassette on my Cannondale (fair weather 10 speed) but I will put Veloce on that too when I have to replace the cassette. I don't think it makes a huge difference and I would rather save the money!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hmmm....overspecced chain, insisted that Miche cassettes are made of cheese, told me he'd fitted a 13-27 cassette when it was actually a 12-27. Maybe the recommendation to use this LBS (it was my first time) wasn't so great.

Any CC recommendation that's reasonably handy for Glossop?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Hmmm....overspecced chain, insisted that Miche cassettes are made of cheese, told me he'd fitted a 13-27 cassette when it was actually a 12-27. Maybe the recommendation to use this LBS (it was my first time) wasn't so great.

Any CC recommendation that's reasonably handy for Glossop?

Maybe try this guy?

http://www.cycletecholdham.co.uk/contacts/

No personal experience mind.

Campag chains are expensive but if looked after perform well - it depends on how well set up the system is and to what extent you are critical of your gear shifting - but remember that sprockets and chainrings are made to trap specific parts of the chain and shifting with some is better and more predictable than others.

There aint no such animal as an "industry standard" for chains - Shimano DA 9s chains will run on Campag 10s cassettes but a Campag 9s chain won't, for instance, and some chains are flush riveted, some square shouldered on the links, some bevel-shouldered (KMC contrasted against Campagnolo for instance), some are more flexible than others, some characteristically noisier than others in combination with the same set of sprockets ...

Over the years we've used practically every combination, advisable and otherwise and tend to come back to using the manufacturer's recommended chain - SRAM withSRAM, Shimano with Shimano and Campag with Campag - and never had an issue, which isn't something we could say with some of the third party chains that we have used ...

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A little update

The KMC X10-93 worked perfectly with a Campagnolo cassette. It has done 3,500km of hard, hilly riding so probably about 70,000m of climbing or so. It was at 0.75 so I've just fitted another. Think it was about £15 off ebay

I'll leave the crack smokers to buy the Campagnolo chains

Top Bottom