campagnolo gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi ive built up my new bike but ive gone from a compact to a regular but ive only got a 12 25 on the rear now im in bits on the hills ive got a 29 up the attic but ive got a short deralier on the back could i use it will it work,can anybody give me some advice cheers.

I have used 53/39 front and 28t on the back with short cage rear mech without problem so you should be ok.

Just check that your new chain length is ok.

Ive got my campag bike up a 31%, its no different from sram or shimano with respect to ratios. You have a few options;
cheapest get fitter/ perhaps lose weight (it can get up things with work);
or fit the largest cassette you can without needing a new derailleur (I guess something like 12-27 or 13-28); that'll make easier without costing too much;
or fit a larger mtb cassette but you'll need a mtb deraileur but it'll make thing even easier;
or fit a compact chainrings (not as effective as cassette changes);
or fit compact chainrings and a 12-27;
or go the whole hog (most costly) change the chainring and a mtb cassette;

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
cheers for the advice campag say i need a med deralier but i might try a 13 29 but make sure about the length of the chain

bianchi1

Guru
I stick a 29 on for trips to the mountains while still using a short campag derailleur, and have never had to change the chain. works ok.
I always want a lower gear at some point tho ^_^

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
can you tell me how many links you have on the chain so i dont mess it up cheers

You shouldn't rely on the number of links others use because even if the other bike was the same model it can be of different size with different chainstay length. If the chain was perfect for 25T before a 29T requires one pair of extra links. Alternatively you can use a chain length calculator to find out what you need.

Top Bottom