Campagnolo hub dust cover?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Hey guys and girls...

Other day I was gunning it along on my fixed gear and the chain jumped off between the frame and the hub.. Problem is it's chewed up the dust cover on my old 80's hub :sad: I'll attach a photo to show the problem. Question Ive got is how easy will it be to source a replacement?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 36
That ain't no dust cover. It is a labyrinth seal.
It doesn't look damaged enough to worry about. Leave it. Removing them inevitably causes more damage than what you are trying to undo.

OP
OP
The_Cycling_Scientist

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
That ain't no dust cover. It is a labyrinth seal.
It doesn't look damaged enough to worry about. Leave it. Removing them inevitably causes more damage than what you are trying to undo.
Problem I've got is it bent out of shape snd doesn't hold in place so it's prone to coming loose whilst in motion and the concern is dirt getting into the bearings. Could this be a problem?

Problem I've got is it bent out of shape snd doesn't hold in place so it's prone to coming loose whilst in motion and the concern is dirt getting into the bearings. Could this be a problem?
Yes, it would be a problem. The trick now is to remove it and to try and reshape it so that it fits flush and tight again. Otherwise just stick it in place with silicone, making sure the silicone goes nowhere else than between the outer edge of the cup and the hub's cup seat. This way you can remove it again but it will stay in place. An open bearing is not a good idea.

Top Bottom