Campagnolo - lower gearing advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
As per another thread I got an uncharacteristically itchy finger on eBay (honestly, I’m quite good at not buying bikes - the bikes find me etc) so I now have a lovely old thing with a (largely) complete Campagnolo 2 x 8 speed Chorus groupset on it. Actually it’s a mix of 8 and 9 speed, which is all compatible, but the shifters are 8 speed.

My issue is that my knees are made of chalk, and I live on the edge of the Peaks, so all my bikes have low gearing. Which has been easy enough with the others as they’re all Shimano with JIS square taper and (because I’m a dinosaur) friction shifting. So any old thing out the parts bin is fine for them.

The rather lovely Campagnolo crankset is full on Campy with a 135mm BCD which limits me to a smallest chainring of 39 teeth, and ISO taper. Along with the 13-28 cassette, it doesn’t give me the gearing I need. Maybe 30 years ago when it was new and I was in my twenties it would have been fine, but not today. Not with my knees etc. So my question is how would you economically change the gearing on this thing in a way that works with the shifters and keeps it looking all classy and that? It’s nice to have a bike that doesn’t look like I built it from bits out of the parts bin for once, and I’d like to keep it that way. That said …

I do have a Campag triple that I could put on to it. It’s black not silver, but I could get it blasted if it works. It’s not as high spec as Chorus though. It’s marked as 9 speed Exa Drive and came attached to an old blue Ribble frame I bought for £20 so it’s pretty low spec I think. I have the correct Campag BB for it, but again, not Chorus. I guess I won’t remember, notice or care about the downgrade once it’s fitted though. However, if I replace that I would also need to replace both derailleurs and all of a sudden I’m spending at least a hundred quid on 30 year old bits for a bike I actually want to use a fair bit. The small ring on the triple has a 74 BCD so can go down to 24 teeth iirc. One other option I considered would be to replace the outer with a blank guard-thing and try the ‘triple‘ as a 46/30 with the current double FD but even if that works I think I will ultimately want a gear smaller than 30/28 which would mean a smaller chainring because you don’t seem to be able to get Campy cassettes with more than 28 teeth, and at that stage I think it would be too much for the FD.

I’ve also considered selling everything other than the shifters are starting again. But then why stop there? Why not sell everything including the shifters and then move to a higher number of gears? But then would I also need new wheels?

Basically I’m paralysed by ‘what about if I try this’ thoughts about spending money upgrading a bike I only bought because I saw it on eBay and though ‘Oh now that’s nice and no-one else has bid on it …’

What would you do, Cyclechat?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd try the triple. Why do you think you need to change both derailleurs? It may just work.
What about the frame, is it worth spending on? Or worth changing to another group set?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the outer on the triple is much smaller you'll have to shorten the chain to suit. That's the most cost effective solution.
It's not really a bike made for low gearing is it. :smile:
Nice bike but unless you want to spend loads on it I'd sell and look for something that better suits your needs or knees.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I assume the amount of slack will be too much for the rd to cope with if I have a triple on - but as you say I could give it a try I guess. The bike has been sold before - these aren’t my pictures and they’re from 6 years ago - https://www.flickr.com/photos/70163551@N06/albums/72157695109411255

It has a different RD from then (Chorus marked 9 speed fitted now) but it has gained mudguards, slicks and Campag cabling. Otherwise it seems exactly the same.

Its not just derailleurs (if the current RD is anything life the short cage one pictured, then I agree, it wont have enough range to cope with a triple. Also, as it has indexed shifters, your LH shifter wont shift a triple, I'm not a Campy expert but assume it just as two positions (potentially with "trim" function, but maybe not at 8 speed).

Running your triple crankset as subcompact double with a chainguard might be the best "bodge" way 38/26 or similar if you can find suitable chainrings - Spa are normally good for that sort of stuff. 26-28 is quite spinny for a hill gear and 38-13 should be enough top-end for a old boy with dodgy knees. :okay:

Campagnolo 8 has micro-indexing on the front derailleur, not 2 or 3 position, so trimming the position is std practice.
You can operate a different front mech.

I got fed up trying to source the 8spd cassettes. It was a nice system but really obsolete, unlike the Shimano version

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I didn't bother with a Campag chainset for reasons of gearing. It's a bitsa bike from new, but carefully chosen bits.
Photo by Mr Hallett before he'd let me take it away
bluehallett.JPG

Ajax Bay

Guru
Running your triple crankset as subcompact double with a chainguard might be the best "bodge" way 38/26 or similar if you can find suitable chainrings - Spa are normally good for that sort of stuff. 26-28 is quite spinny for a hill gear and 38-13 should be enough top-end for a old boy with dodgy knees. :okay:

I'll echo Tomo's advice. But think you'll struggle to find a 135mm BCD chainguard, so just leave to 52t in the outer position (and exclude it's use with the H limit screw), a 42t middle (what the triple has now(?)) and a 26t (is OK with a 74mm BCD) inner. FD should cope with that (assume clamp on and you can slide it down).
That'd give you a 85" - 25" range.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for all your input. I’ve had a fettle and created a bike that weighs more and looks less pretty than it did, but has gearing from 94” to 29” as opposed to the 94” to 37” it had this morning.

I’ve replaced the Chorus BB with the other Campy BB I had, which is significantly heavier but has a long enough spindle for the triple. (For those of you in Sheffield, a shout out to AE Butterworth on Abbeydale Rd for whipping the old BB out for me as a courtesy because I didn’t have the tool for it. I couldn’t wish for a better LBS.) I’ve also swapped the rings around on the cranks so the triple has gone from 52/42/30 to 46/39/30 with the potential to go to a 24 small ring.

I didn’t have to change the height of the FD on account of it having the same big ring, and much to my delight the FD copes perfectly acceptably with the triple as is, and the RD can cope with the slack in the chain even on small/small (which I won’t use anyway) and although it looks a little uncomfortable on big/big it works (and I won’t use that either) I’m going to stick it on the tubo for a bit just to confirm, but it works on the stand.

So, a success, hopefully. I just need to get the black blasted off the cranks so it looks nicer again, and maybe see if I can pick up a lighter BB for the triple.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Campagnolo 8 has micro-indexing on the front derailleur, not 2 or 3 position, so trimming the position is std practice.
You can operate a different front mech.

I got fed up trying to source the 8spd cassettes. It was a nice system but really obsolete, unlike the Shimano version

Miche still seem to be making cassettes for it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very much depends on these older bikes (I've got two). Depends if the mech can cope with a triple also. I've Shimano 600 and Dura Ace 7400 from around 1990, 8 speed. Neither will take more than a 26T rear and a 39T front. Whist it's manageabe for shorter rides on steep climbs (I live 10 mins from the Peak climbs), there is no way I was doing a 130 mile sportive with 10,000 ft of climbing on them, with all day on the bike.

I bought another bike 'used' - because of extensive spare wheels etc, I bought a CX bike, so can do muky stuff and road. Takes clip on full raceblades too. I've got bottom gear to work with a 34 x 34 - on Shimano 5702 rear mech - just 2T more than recommended on the cassette.

There isn't a Shimano 600/Dura Ace triple that I could have replaced with, nor the mechs, as these were race groupsets, just like Chorus. I wasn't changing the 'period components' though.

Top Bottom