Campagnolo Shamal wheels ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a set of Campagnolo 40mm deep rims laced to campy 8spd. Record hubs which would be correct for Shamal wheels. So my question is since the wheels have 18 spokes on the front and 24 on the rear rather than the normal 16 and 20 spokes is it likely that the wheels are custom built or just plain fakes. Any and all opinions welcome.
tempImagersrOAx.png

tempImagejq4Q2q.png

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
By the way the decals are new , l stuck them on ^_^

They came with different spoke counts as far as I know, the top spec 12 HPW ones with ti internals had 12 spokes front and rear.

I've got some of the tubular Shamals that are 16 spoke front and 16 spoke rear. I don't about 20 and 24 hole versions though. I would have guessed some of the lesser spec Campag wheelsets had more spokes, original Vento's maybe? I've got some Campag Atlanta 96's that are 32 spokes on each wheel, so know Campag did a range of deep silver rims, though in truth the Atlanta's are not as deep as the Shamal's, more like 35m deep.

Show us more detailed pics of the hubs, the original Shamal ones are famously bulbous and look like this...
CH8fCUN.jpg

And here's a Shamal front hub
nhYPZpm.jpg

Your hubs look wrong, both look like they have more spoke holes than it has spokes which is not right, so suspect your set is some random hubs build up with deep rims but more pics of the hubs will reveal more hopefully.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
I thought Shamal had a really low spoke count like 16 rear, 14 front?

The problem is that l have seen them with 16 front and 20 rear and even 16 front and 16 rear. And one set with only 12 spokes rear , can't remember what the front number was. So it seems that they were often custom built for various purposes .

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
The very first were 16-16, went to 12-12 in about 1996 then up to 16-14 later the exact cats. you would need aren’t in my pile.

Thanks for looking and the info. l will keep searching for more info. on the wheels (and riding with them).

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
They came with different spoke counts as far as I know, the top spec 12 HPW ones with ti internals had 12 spokes front and rear.

I've got some of the tubular Shamals that are 16 spoke front and 16 spoke rear. I don't about 20 and 24 hole versions though. I would have guessed some of the lesser spec Campag wheelsets had more spokes, original Vento's maybe? I've got some Campag Atlanta 96's that are 32 spokes on each wheel, so know Campag did a range of deep silver rims, though in truth the Atlanta's are not as deep as the Shamal's, more like 35m deep.

Show us more detailed pics of the hubs, the original Shamal ones are famously bulbous and look like this...
View attachment 653117
View attachment 653118
Your hubs look wrong, both look like they have more spoke holes than it has spokes which is not right, so suspect your set is some random hubs build up with deep rims but more pics of the hubs will reveal more hopefully.

Ok a couple of pics of the (rather grubby) hubs !
tempImageA7Setm.png

tempImageVCLbk8.png

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

View attachment 653117
View attachment 653118

Yep, a lot of unused spoke holes in the OP's hubs!

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Looks like someone has got some spare rims and laced them to ordinary croce d’aune or chorus hubs.

I think that sounds like a reasonable explanation . I'll just keep them on the bike and ride , mind you l will give them a clean now and then, bit embarrassing those photos ^_^

Agree with @Hover Fly , moreover Shamals have bladed spokes. Are the Rims 40cm deep? Campagnolo made lots of deep section alloy rims Shamal, Veneto, Zonda, Atlanta, not all the same depth or spoke count . So you might want to get the tape measure out and then check velobase.

I say made, labelled, is probably a better choice at least for Shamals where the rims were made by Gipiemme .

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Agree with @Hover Fly , moreover Shamals have bladed spokes. Are the Rims 40cm deep? Campagnolo made lots of deep section alloy rims Shamal, Veneto, Zonda, Atlanta, not all the same depth or spoke count . So you might want to get the tape measure out and then check velobase.

I say made, labelled, is probably a better choice at least for Shamals where the rims were made by Gipiemme .

^_^ Definitely not 40 cm deep but they are 40mm deep ^_^

Top Bottom