Campagnolo Xenon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
20 speed Xenon.

Are they ok?

Never even seen one but i might have the chance for a work bike that has this fitted.

Been used to Shimano.

Thoughts please..

thanx

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Has it got a whole campagnolo xenon groupset? They are a very well respected name, and the Xenon is a now discontinued set from the bottom end of their range (TYVM wikipedia), but I would imagine still of a good enough quality to last well through the years if they are not too worn already. I don't know if their may be compatibilty issues if parts need to be replaced or upgraded, but I'm sure if you stick with campag your should do fine.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Sorry I thought you were getting a second hand bike. That one looks great, Bianchi do make some sexy bikes; are you using the cycle to work scheme?

I think wiki must have been a bit off about Xenon, it said they were discontinued in 2009.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Sorry I thought you were getting a second hand bike. That one looks great, Bianchi do make some sexy bikes; are you using the cycle to work scheme?

I think wiki must have been a bit off about Xenon, it said they were discontinued in 2009.

Yes its a possible C2W bike but the Campagnolo parts scare me.

Love the look of the bike and if it had Shimano then it would be the one.

Hence the research.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I think that campag have enough history of making parts for serious racing machines and innovating new stuff to trust their kit; I have to say I have had similar feeling when looking at SRAM parts, as I have only really known Shimano over my many years cycling, but until we try other makers we'll never know...!

It's like comparing Window's based PC's with Apple desktop machines: just because 90% of the world has a Windows based machine, doesn't by any means make them 90% better. A much larger number of mass produced, and mid range bikes have Shimano parts fitted than Campag or SRAM, I would imagine, but those who know what they are looking for won't necessarily just go for Shimano. This has gone into bit of a ramble, but hopefully you know what I mean.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I think Xenon stopped being supplied for general sale around 2009, as was Mirage. At that time Xenon was regarded as roughly equivalent to Sora, and Mirage to Tiagra. Veloce = 105. Veloce has since become the base level Campag groupset. However some makes have continued to offer Xenon as OEM. Whether Campag continued to supply or it is just old stock, I don't know (anyone?).

gbb

Legendary Member
Xenon's fine and reliable, ive had it on my two previous bikes, no issues whatsoever.
Very similar in operation to Sora, i climb off my Sora clad bike, onto the xenon, i think they operate exacly the same.

£850 :whistle: its times like this you realise how much bikes have gone up in the last 5 years. My Bianchi Xenon, full carbon fork cost £600 in 2008 IIRC.

Top Bottom