Campbeltown to Corran Ferry via Oban, Tobermory and Kilchoan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Any advice for this route, roads to take or avoid, places not to miss while I'm up there?

Campbeltown to Oban would be one day, which looks like 90 miles minimum; Oban to Tobermory to Corran Ferry is 70 miles by most direct route but I'd be happy to bump either of those up to 100-120 miles as it'll be long summer days so plenty of breaks.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Campbletown to Oban - follow classic Caledonian way route, which is more like 125 miles so you avoid the worst of the A83 (i.e hit the west coast loop north of Tarbert.

Not a lot of different roads to choose after Oban, the much longer route via Loch Beg will be far quieter than the direct route, and after the next ferry at Tobermory, hug Loch Linnie on the B road rather than take more of the A road.

doesn't @oldwheels reside on Mull?

Last edited:
Oban to Tobermory to Corran Ferry is 70 miles by most direct route but I'd be happy to bump either of those up to 100-120 miles as it'll be long summer days so plenty of breaks.

That might be the most stunning 70miles you can do on a bike (+ferries!) in the UK, and super-quiet. Maybe divert to the Ardnamurchan lighthouse? Most westerly point of UK mainland, with a cafe :smile:

slow scot

Veteran
If you have the time I’d advise turning left when you land on Mull and take the longer road round to Tobermory. It’s one of the best days to be had on a bike up here.
From Kilchoan to the Corran ferry you go via Strontian, and your only variation is to add the loop over to Kingairloch. This is very attractive but adds distance and climbing.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Campbletown to Oban - follow classic Caledonian way route, which is more like 125 miles so you avoid the worst of the A83 (i.e hit the west coast loop north of Tarbert.

Strava lets me plot a route that turns left at Achahoish, looping around a small southwest peninsula and then heading north avoiding Lochgilphead completely, but Google maps won't plot this - am I assuming that part of that is off-road?

1678187547841.png

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
If you have the time I’d advise turning left when you land on Mull and take the longer road round to Tobermory. It’s one of the best days to be had on a bike up here.

Thanks, yes I was kind of planning on that depending on when I arrived on the island and syncing with the ferries, would be a shame to go all that way and not explore.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru

Yes, that's the route I'd found - where Strava thinks i can go is turning left at Achahoish below - there's a gap in the Streetmap view because it's signed as a private driveway but the Strava heatmap continues through to the loop around to Kilmory.

1678188424659.png

I may not have time to take that detour in any case, but I'm curious if it's rideable. The signs say no. ;)

1678188412647.png

edit - right of way says yes, although it gets rough at parts so might take me too long: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29277

Sallar55

Veteran
The Loch Sween link is a declassified road , the good bits have grass between 2 tarmac strips.😁

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
^^^ Maybe if I have time and I trust my tyres, there's plenty of other good stuff to see though so it's not essential. Thanks, will largely follow the Sustrans route, depending on traffic.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Looking at the east coast from Campbeltown, it looks crazy hilly. Given I’ll be leaving early morning so minimal traffic, will I be missing out on scenery by taking the west coast road? I could do with saving energy for later in the trip.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
If you intend having a meal out in Tobermory, book ahead!

I’ll have been three days in the same clothes, I don’t think they’d let me in anyway!

Actually staying overnight in the southwest tip of Mull then doing the rest of the loop the next day, as far as Glencoe. Long days but that’s the joy of riding solo.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Looking at the east coast from Campbeltown, it looks crazy hilly. Given I’ll be leaving early morning so minimal traffic, will I be missing out on scenery by taking the west coast road? I could do with saving energy for later in the trip.
I once rode both sides as a loop when I was capable of such things and both are magnificent. In my opinion, scenically the west Atlantic cost is the one you should not miss.

I was up there again a couple of years ago and the A83 was as quiet as I remember it. It is an A-road on which those inclined could drive fast, but lines of sight are generally good.

Travelling northwards you will have the rocks, beaches and Atlantic breakers at your elbow. Here's a view close to where I was staying - plenty more to look at on Streetview of course:

Bella.png

Top Bottom