Campbeltown to Corran Ferry via Oban, Tobermory and Kilchoan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I once rode both sides as a loop when I was capable of such things and both are magnificent. In my opinion, scenically the west Atlantic cost is the one you should not miss.

I was up there again a couple of years ago and the A83 was as quiet as I remember it. It is an A-road on which those inclined could drive fast, but lines of sight are generally good.

Travelling northwards you will have the rocks, beaches and Atlantic breakers at your elbow. Here's a view close to where I was staying - plenty more to look at on Streetview of course:

View attachment 680968

Thanks for this. I may even be heading off at 5am each day so traffic shouldn’t be a problem for at least three hours or so, and that west coast road will save me a bit of time that I can use on the backroads to Oban later on.

Can’t really go wrong in that part of the world though, agree!

Slick

Guru
Looking at the east coast from Campbeltown, it looks crazy hilly. Given I’ll be leaving early morning so minimal traffic, will I be missing out on scenery by taking the west coast road? I could do with saving energy for later in the trip.
Campbeltown to Carradale on a bike is a cracking ride, but I don't think there's a flat bit on it, nothing huge but you are either up or down. I wouldn't fancy planning my normal daily distance after a start to the day like that.
I once rode both sides as a loop when I was capable of such things and both are magnificent. In my opinion, scenically the west Atlantic cost is the one you should not miss.

I was up there again a couple of years ago and the A83 was as quiet as I remember it. It is an A-road on which those inclined could drive fast, but lines of sight are generally good.

Travelling northwards you will have the rocks, beaches and Atlantic breakers at your elbow. Here's a view close to where I was staying - plenty more to look at on Streetview of course:

View attachment 680968
Ah, Bellochantuy. Looks great and I spent many a day on that beach as a boy as well as that hotel. Great smell from the beach, which thinking about it, if I close my eyes, takes me right back.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
So my plans have changed slightly due to not realising there are only ferries to Campbeltown from Thursdays to Sundays (!) but I'll be going via Ardrossan/Brodick and Lochranza and then starting the next day from Tarbert. Will be a shame to miss the west coast south of Tarbert but it cuts down the first big day for me, which involves getting up to Oban and then the southwest of Mull.

And due to recent ferry problems I've prebooked the Mull ferry TWO MONTHS in advance, just to make sure - some residents couldn't book to get off the island for weeks in recent times...

Top Bottom