Camping Along the Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debz51

Hey,

I'm new to this site. My friend and I are looking to do LEJOG later this year and were thinking about camping most of the way. We've never done anything like this before and I was just hoping someone could give me a bit of advice on how to transport out kit with us? We won't be taking a support car so it'll just be us, a couple of bikes and backpacks. Would you recommend taking a trailer or would it slow us down? Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Deb

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't think I would want to be doing LEJOG with just rucsacks - and camping equipment!! I would have thought you could possibly fit panniers to your bikes instead?

snorri

Legendary Member
With panniers would make it easier for the sections between home and LE, and home and JoG. Possibly the most difficult part of LE JoG is working out how you will get to and from the start and finish points, unless of course you have time to cycle all the way. Transporting bicycles on public transport can be a problem, a trailer would compound the difficulty.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Panniers make things so much simpler. You are likely to encounter transport problems with your trailer when using the train.

I've done LEJOG and JOGLE plus many other short and long tours with panniers and had no problems whatsoever.

If I was you I'd research how accommodating trains and planes are if you want to take a trailer with you. I'd also ask for confirmation of favourable answers in writing as office responses are often at variance with practises at the counter/check in.

RedBike

I tried touring last year with a cheap copy of Bob trailer. It was really hard work to pull in hilly areas. It added some serious weight to the bike.

However, it did mean I could take everything I wanted with no real worries about weight / fitting it in the panneirs.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Would echo what others have said, I would always recommend that the bike takes the load and not the rider.

Campsite near Spean Bridge
3387668508_f8b573a191_o.jpg

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

trailertrasher

trailer or panniers..?

Debz51 said:
Sorry I meant should we take panniers or a trailer? We've not done this before :biggrin:
hi Debz,i am new here,and am currently in the process of modifying a "mule" trailer,which can be bought in argos for about £100..
i am also planning a long tour with:ohmy: camping along the way..so shall keep you posted how it works out..good luck by the way..:biggrin:

gps999

I did the LEJOG last year with 4 ortlieb panniers.. no dramas. One way vehicle hire is the answer. you pay a small premium but we came back from Wick to the South coast using enterprise one way hire....

Wildcommon

I am going to take a tarpaulin/mossie net/hammock with me as they are light, inexpensive to purchase and there are loads of trees lining the road...u might not get the mod cons that u would from a campsite but it is a quick and easy option.

DO NOT set up in or near to a layby and keep ur bike out of sight from passers by.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Wildcommon said:
I am going to take a tarpaulin/mossie net/hammock with me as they are light, inexpensive to purchase and there are loads of trees lining the road.

Last week in northern Scotland (Altnaharra way), all those inviting forestry plantations were surrounded by 6' high deer fence, with padlocked 6' high gates.

Top Bottom