Most scenic way LE to Severn Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

schneewehe

Hello local experts,

Last two times I took an inland route through Dartmoor and Cheddar Gorge, which was hard but fantastic. Next year I'm thinking about to take amore northern route to see something from the coast and Exmoor Nationalparc. But before planning in detail I just want to get sure if this is a good idea. I prefer small traffic free roads and paved cycle paths with a lot of climbs in between, as long as the efford gains me nice landscape and a great coffeebreak in between. Is the traffic an issue in that region? Kind regards Schneewehe

Ajax Bay

Guru
Please share the two routes you took so we/I can see the sort of roads you 'prefer'.
What do you mean by "is the traffic an issue in that region?"? Was the traffic on your "inland routes" an issue? These things are both comparative and subject to individual threshold/perception.
Here's Land's End to Lynmouth. I have not ridden all these roads (maybe 3/4). Uses the Padstow>Rock ferry. Was surprised how little climb there was!
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45210916

Polecat

"Was surprised how little climb there was"!
Ahem, mon ami; 176.7mi and 12,649ft climbing is not - at least to me - a little climbing. :whistle:

Jameshow

Veteran
Look up Mick F route on cycling UK forum.

From davudstow airfield go moth up to Bude and then Bideford / Barnstaple and up to Exmoor. Just avoid the A39 by going inland. Don't go coast side as there are some crazy steep hills in very short distance.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Title of thread is "Most scenic way . . ".
Do you not know what 'scenic' is a euphemism for, in long distance cycling?
"Was surprised how little climb there was"!
Ahem, mon ami; 176.7mi and 12,649ft climbing is not - at least to me - a little climbing. :whistle:
You cannot (inferred) whimper that there's lots of climb. I assure you that only 13m per km of climb is a relatively flat (long) day out in Devon and Cornwall.
From Davidstow airfield go north up to Bude and then Bideford / Barnstaple and up to Exmoor. Just avoid the A39 by going inland. Don't go coast side as there are some crazy steep hills in very short distance.
With respect, that's 'sort of' what the route I shared does; well it goes Bideford/Barnstaple.
There's no sensible way (other than the A39) to get to Bude from Davidstow. The route I've offered gets one down into Tintagel and across to Boscastle: destinations in their own right and fantastic Atlantic Ocean scenery to the left. The route across to Holsworthy and the north to Bideford is scenic (and gets the rider onto the Tarka Trail cycle path: see OP "I prefer small traffic free roads and paved cycle paths with a lot of climbs in between").
After Barnstaple the cycle path (another 'tick') takes you out to to Braunton and round the Croyde peninsula with views back across Braunton Burrows and later down into Woolacombe. (Clearly there's the opportunity to cut that out and head straight for the scenery of Exmoor. But you'd miss the seriously hilly route from Combe Martin to Lynmouth which is outrageous (small traffic free roads with a lot of . . . climbs in between"), matching the spec perfectly.
To get to Bridgwater (which is a throttle heading for the Severn Bridge) I'd climb out of Lynmouth to Simonsbath (so onto Exmoor) thence Exford, Wheddon Cross, east along the Brendon Hills, cut SE to Bishop's Lydeard and up the Cothelstone climb and over the Quantocks.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45232314
I have ridden all those roads, and from Bridgwater many times.

the snail

Guru

You cannot (inferred) whimper that there's lots of climb. I assure you that only 13m per km of climb is a relatively flat (long) day out in Devon and Cornwall.

I reckon 10m/km is pretty average for the the UK. Considering you are crossing Cornwall and Devon 13m/km is very reasonable indeed.

D_97_goodtimes

The following towns and villages may suit you - Not many paved cycle paths but plenty of country lanes with lots of hills.

Trowbridge - Coffee here
Holt
Corsham - Coffee can be found here
Badminton
Hillesley -
Wooton Under Edge - More coffee
Tortworth - Excellent coffee and food at the cafe
Aust - Nice pub
Severn Bridge

Top Bottom