Camping and Tarps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've managed to bag a matching tarp (Nordisk) for my new 'Wiggle bargain' tent. On our first camp, we would have been a little stuck for cooking if it had hissed it down, and this next camp bikes and a paddle board are coming (five days at Bala lake). With that in mind I've been looking for a tarp, preferably a polycotton one. Pricing them up, you very easily get to £100 for even a 'cheap' tarp and poles/guy ropes. Extensive googling found just two Nordisk tarps in stock at UK suppliers. One could deliver in 5-7 working days, the other in 2. I submitted a price match request to the shorter delivery supplier, and they matched it - £99 delivered (RRP is over £300). Ordered Tuesday, arrived today, so not bad.

Anyway, it's massive 20sqm (approx 4.75m x 4.75m) - slightly wider than the tent. The proposal is I connect the tarp to the tent above the door, and one side follows the roof line to the floor on the 'wind side' to form a wind break, and the other sides left open, rather than just the regular triangle shape with all sides open. This also saves taking a windbreak - we're camping on a very windy site later this month, directly on the West Wales coast.

Anyone here a regular user who can recommend any other pitch patterns ? I have also bought two additional telescopic poles, so four in all. PS Can't take it 'bike' packing later this year as it's heavier than the bike ! :surrender:

Tent pic.... (excuse the cycling 'washing')

20240419_182137[1].jpg

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Probably looking at a similar pitch to this (our tarp is a diamond shape)

Screenshot 2024-05-03 100542.jpg

Hicky

Guru
Depending on eyelets it’s worth considering putting a corner of the tarp over the main pole then using one corner towards the ground at the front then lift one corner by a pole and manage the height using the remaining material…that makes sense in my head but probably not on paper as it were.
We have a Vango illusion tv and a higher tv tarp and drape it over one beam and do a similar affair to your second image. With lots of v strong pegs it’s fine.

simongt

Guru
Decided we need a tarp for our Vango 450XL tent.
Contacted Vango & Attwools for advice on which one would suit best. I clearly stated to both that the 450 is a side entry tent.
Vango suggested their Adventure tarp; only suitable for front entry tents, Attwools suggested the Vango Trek tarp, suitable for side & front entry tents.
Guess who I bought it from - ! :laugh:

Hicky

Guru
Decided we need a tarp for our Vango 450XL tent.
Contacted Vango & Attwools for advice on which one would suit best. I clearly stated to both that the 450 is a side entry tent.
Vango suggested their Adventure tarp; only suitable for front entry tents, Attwools suggested the Vango Trek tarp, suitable for side & front entry tents.
Guess who I bought it from - ! :laugh:

Bought our tent from Atwolls, you’ve got to speak to Mike, the rest aren’t great.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Blue plastic Tarps from the local DIY store are super-cheap, come in a variety of sizes, have eyelets, and will do the job for pennies!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Tarp off

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Blue plastic Tarps from the local DIY store are super-cheap, come in a variety of sizes, have eyelets, and will do the job for pennies!

Not happening. Just got this posh tent (for cheap) so shizzle has to match and as there is next to no Nordisk tarps available I got this. Will be used next week as a community tarp as we're camping with a load of cold water swimming weirdo's (like bike weirdo's without the massive expense).

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

TBH it's been a godsend. Been able to keep out of the sun today. It's not that hot, but when you are out in it, walking, an hour's bike ride, an hour on the lake etc, then I sat under the tarp. I'm a bit red.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not happening. Just got this posh tent (for cheap) so shizzle has to match and as there is next to no Nordisk tarps available I got this. Will be used next week as a community tarp as we're camping with a load of cold water swimming weirdo's (like bike weirdo's without the massive expense).

Have you tried Alpkit or Army Surplus for Tarps?

Top Bottom