camping cycling w/kids around bristol / bath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chowda

howdy all- just joined.
i am planning a cycle/camping trip with my little ones, they ride on cycle seats and i intend to take a cycle trailer with camping gear. can anyone recommend any camp sites near any bristol cycle paths (ie bristol - bath etc)
i dont want to cycle too far (about 10-15 miles or so bristol radius) as they get fidgitty quite quickly, and not too much on main roads - ideally the site can be basic - i want to be in the countryside not surrounded by caravanners with cars & tvs! fire pits and riverside camping even better! Rocks East Woodland looks good but a bit too far from Bristol - i'd have to go from Bath. anyway any reccomendations gratefully received!

andym

Über Member
Sorry I haven't got any specific recommendations for campsites but have you checked out:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

I've always found it pretty helpful.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Problem is there aren't that many campsites near Bristol .. I've thought of doing the same sort of thing along either the Bristol to Bath cycle path or heading out towards Portishead along the river. I may have to treat him to a B&B instead (still it would save carrying quite so much).

There is a campsite at Newton St Loe, which was easily accessed fron the Bristol and Bath, leaving the bottom of the campsite, under the rail bridge and across the Rugby field. Then a short road stretch, and the path joined by the New Bridge Rd bridge.

I do not know if this is still as accessible, but you could ring the site and ask.

One word of warning with kids though is that some pitches are adjacent to a small river, with ducks that can be attractive to wandering youngsters. The site can be busy, but it has quiet spots this needs to be weighed against the cycle path access.

We did this as our first "camping tour" and I would suggest that a trip from Bristol to Newton St Loe and camp overnight, returning the following day would be ideal as it is road free virtually and there are points of interest with sculptures, trains and other feaures that allow breaks and play.

More info about the path is here

con gibbens

Newton St Loe is a nice site. We have not been there recently but plan to call in there next month on our summer tour. Unless it has changed there is a smallish paddock to the right of the entrance track just before the buildings where walkers and cyclists tend to camp (no cars can get in there). All the facilities are close by but you are away from the main area which is rather much a caravan site.

Top Bottom