Camping in Europe - Free styling it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello!

My girlfriend and I are cycling through the north of France this year (possibly heading over to Belgium and Holland while were at it). We are hoping to be able to plot our route as we go along rather than do it in advance, however I was wondering how likely it is to be able to pull into a campsite and find a spot in France towards the end of August?

Ive heard camping is really popular in France and dont want to turn up and find we have no where to camp. We are happy to camp in the wild as an emergency but would obv rather stay somewhere official.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,
Marty

I am heading to the south of France next week for 3 weeks cycle camping, I haven't bothered booking anywhere because I was lead to believe there is a campsite in every town and village (municipal sites) However trying to find details of individual sites on the net is like finding rocking horse poo. I FINALLY (about two weeks ago) found this GEM of a site, not the best for navigating but has every site in France listed :becool: http://www.campingfrance.com/camping-directory/the-official-camping-and-caravanning-guide.htm

Hell Doog that looks incredibly useful - now to figure out how to get it into my Garmin Etrex 20 - using the Garmin POI loader in some way that that site links to.
Thanks again.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This a good site.
http://en.camping.info/

Whilst it's true that not every town has a municipal site, there are a hell of a lot of sites. I was concerned about availability of pitches in the south but there wasn't a problem when I toured there in July. Only once was the site full but they found a pitch for us to stay, under the awning of a permanent caravan. It was unoccupied at the time!
In the north, I very much doubt there'll be any problems whatsoever.

Brains

Legendary Member
The tourist season in most of Europe is from ascension day to assumption day (15 may to 15 August ) . So late August you are out of season so even in the south of France you still find a place, especially as you will be in a small hike tent.

I have never found a campsite even in early August in the south of France that could not squeeze in a pair of cycle tourists

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I've only ever been told there wasn't space for a tent once - and I'm sure they would have let me stay if there wasn't another camp site nearby. That was in Italy, not in France. In Greece once the campsite let me camp in a full site - but I had to pitch on one of the roads on the site! They assured me it was safe!

OP
OP
M

martymcfarty

Regular
Wow, thanks for all the advice! The Hivemind of the internet comes to the rescue once more!

Think we will just arrive and cycle from place to place to see what takes our fancy and camp wherever we need at whatever campsite er can find. We may plot a basic route but will otherwise leave it unplanned. I need to ask for interesting places to visit too but may start another thread for that. For example I heard there is a Trappist Brewery in Belgium not far from the French boarder that could be a good day trip! Mmmmm Monk Beer.

Only times we've had trouble finding a site in France (or ended up somewhere really crap) has been in the south during August.

Be aware that campsites in Belgium are very scarce compared to France (but the beer makes up for most shortcomings). A trip to Iper is worth while, there's a decent campsite right near the city and lots to see (and drink) in the area.

Its a myth about campsites in every town and Village

I aggree it is a myth but if you just keep cycling one will come along in a minute

I've only ever been told there wasn't space for a tent once

and that was on my first night back in England.

Only times we've had trouble finding a site in France (or ended up somewhere really crap) has been in the south during August.
Never had this problem in the south - The only thing in the south is sometimes you have to stay at the bigger sites - make sure you get there early enough so you dont have to talk your way past the security guards and their big dogs - notwithstanding that I have always managed to get in even when it is very late.

rollinstok

As mentioned by others there are an enormous number of campsites throughout France and even if they are very busy they will try their best to find somewhere to place a small 2 person tent
If you are desperately unlucky a chat with a farmer will often salvage the day

Top Bottom