camping in the Netherlands: good+ bad sites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

just4fun

In a little over a week i'll be setting off with my other half to the Netherlands for some north see route touring. My previous and only other experience of this was 2 years ago and this time the kitchen sink wont be comming with! as before we will carry our tent and sleeping stuff on the bikes going from town to town, stopping where we fancy, but i just wanted to know if there are any camp sites that you strongly recommend to stay at and alos camp sites to avoid if possible.

Domestique

Über Member
We recently took a two week tour in Holland staying exclusively in these sites. You have to join, or buy the book about 16euros which is available at all the sites.
No cars allowed on the sites, apart from to load or unload, very quiet and very recommended by us. A bit sparse on the NSCR though.
http://www.natuurkampeerterreinen.nl/en/who-we-are.html

Tony

Egmond an Zee: on the main road North after the big supermarket you will see a set of "dragons' teeth" tank traps to your left, and a small handwritten "camping" sign. Wonderful little simple private site.

xilios

Veteran
You can also check out the local tourist office and ask about campings by farms. Many farms in Holland have opened small campsites. Nothing fancy just shower and toilet facilities. They are quiet and cheap.

GrahamG

Guru
I'd have thought the only ones to avoid would be the backpacker type campsite outside Amsterdam... for fairly obvious reasons!

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
Didn't stay at this one near Ostkapelle but picked up the details for another trip as it looked very nice:

www.twistvliet.nl

They had a very nice, quiet camp site attached to a B and B farm house with a bar and I think food.

Don't know if you intend to do the southern part, but I cycled Hook of Holland down to Vlissingen a couple of weeks ago, thought it all brilliant, nice signing of the North sea path which oddly strayed inland quite a lot. There are some great cycle paths right along the coast near Renesse and Ouddorp instead.

if you want to take a kitchen sink the ortlieb folding one is pretty good :-)

Just back from
http://www.koningshofholland.nl/koningshof/uk/

this is near Leiden about 2 miles inland from Katwijk.
All clean and as it says on the website.

I would note that it had a touring area for small tents (I took the family and bikes and trailer tent), and it was not full up - say about 80% full- which is good if you plan to just pitch up on the day.

Cycling is easy there with cycle paths everywhere - only downside is they are so full of bikes!

Brains

Legendary Member
I've done a lot of camping over the years - This site on Texel is probably the best site I have ever seen. Every pitch has it's own personal loo/shower/washing block, electricity, cable tv, wifi etc

http://www.koorn-aar.nl/engels/index.html

willem

Über Member
I guess this boils down to personal preference. I hate such fully equipped sites and avoid them like the plague, if only because they attract those who cannot do without their satellite tv and fridge. My tip would indeed be to go for the Natuurkampeerterreinen, and those run my the Dutch Forrestry Commision (Staatsbosbeheer). My ideal is good but elementary facilities but no electricity on the individual sites, and no lights.
Willem

OP
OP
J

just4fun

just wanted to say thanks again for all the replys. Am off tomorrow and very excited about it too. I just wish there was someway to make everything i owned weight half as much that didn't involved ripping shredding or cutting!

Top Bottom