camping tour with kids in outer hebredies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
I am a bit hesitant about your trip, given the chance of bad weather. We have taken the kids on many cycling tours, and bad weather really gets at them. Last August I went to Denmark with my thirteen year old son and a friend of his. The boys were great doing about 60 km a day. Unfortunately we also had two days of rain, and their spirits did go down. Mind you, the gear was fine, with goretex boots, excellent tents and all.
Scotland is on my list to do with the kids, but I have decided to wait.
Willem

Brommyboy

Über Member
Weather on the islands is very changeable: you can have all seasons in one day! My week on Harris/Lewis had some days of strong winds and 24 hours very wet. The rest of the time was superb. Wind is your biggest problem there.

Bodhbh

Guru
Weather on the islands is very changeable: you can have all seasons in one day! My week on Harris/Lewis had some days of strong winds and 24 hours very wet. The rest of the time was superb. Wind is your biggest problem there.

The weather wasn't too bad while we where there, it was mostly sunny, but like you say: changable and windy. It was like 9-12 degrees up there, the same week in London it was in the low 20s. Last day we were there, we were eating in Stornoway and a local trotts excitedly into the cafe and says to a waitress "It's going to be roasting tomorrow - 17 degrees!".

But I don't want to put the OP off, I'd go back in a flash. Certainly best wild camping I've done on the bike.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man

Weather would be my reservation around cycling with youngsters. Self catering and with a car we've always had a plan B whether it's drinking tea in the cottage or driving to another part of the island where, as is often the case, the weather is better. While clag and rain hang over the mountains of North Harris it can be idyllic at either Butt of Lewis or Northton.

stumpy66

Veteran
When you get off the ferry at Barra, make sure you head to Vattersay, the beaches are beautiful. We did a tour June this year, Arran, Jura, islay, mull then over to Oh, ferry back to Ullapool then up to Durness and back to Glasgow. As said previously the Barra ferry gets over late on, we went round the island before looking for somewhere to camp, when it started to rain we took shelter in the small ferry terminal that goes to Eriksay. When the woman came to lock up she said it was ok if we wanted to stay the night, what a result, heating, somewhere to get washed and charge the phone up. We did Barra to Stornoway in a day, fully laden, west coast of Harris is lovely watch out for climb out of target, it's akiller. Will prob go back this year and spend a bit more time their

OP
OP
GraemeG

GraemeG

Thanks to all your contributions.
Yes my greatest reservation is the weather. Have been discussing with the kids, with questions like do you want an adventure? to which the answer is yes. Then mentioning that with every adventure comes some hardship....I am still monitoring their motivation. I heard that it is OK to put bikes on buses, but was wondering how many bikes you can get on one bus since we will have 4. As mentioned by one person, also considering taking a car over should the weather turn foul for a long time to provide more options. My concern here is getting on the ferrys between islands since I would not like to book. Thanks again for all your thoughts.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
With bikes you do not need to book on any CalMac ferries.With car better to book but if prepared to wait should get on most ferries unless at peak times.Mid morning just after breakfast are popular with tourists.

lpretro1

Calmac do an island Hopscotch ticket which is much cheaper than paying for indivdual trips. Buy the one to suit. No need to book if you are on a bike as you are treated as a foot passenger - no charge for bikes either. Wild camping plentiful on some beautiful beaches - just leave no trace. I went with a friend in August and we found it hard to get B&Bs on spec in Harris & Lewis as it was the tourist season. However, the local TIC always managed to find a bed for us for a small fee so we could just decide on teh day where we'd head for, pop in and book it in the morning and then cycle there. Outwith that probably not a problem. Gatliff Trust hostels won't turn you away but you might not get a bunk if busy. Remember also that in Harris and Lewis everything closes on a Sunday - they are still religious and very strict. Not a problem on the Catholic Uists! The boat trip from North Uist to South Harris across the Sound of Harris is beautiful - the water is only a few feet deep and sandy and crystal clear and the Harris west coast beaches are stunning - but mind that water is very cold even in August! It is also worthwhile heading across and down the west coast of Lewis for stunning scenery and the Butt of Lewis for its drama too. The moorland road across from west of Callanish in the north of Lewis is a treat and incredibly quiet.

L jp

Calmac do an island Hopscotch ticket which is much cheaper than paying for indivdual trips. Buy the one to suit. No need to book if you are on a bike as you are treated as a foot passenger - no charge for bikes either. Wild camping plentiful on some beautiful beaches - just leave no trace. I went with a friend in August and we found it hard to get B&Bs on spec in Harris & Lewis as it was the tourist season. However, the local TIC always managed to find a bed for us for a small fee so we could just decide on teh day where we'd head for, pop in and book it in the morning and then cycle there. Outwith that probably not a problem. Gatliff Trust hostels won't turn you away but you might not get a bunk if busy. Remember also that in Harris and Lewis everything closes on a Sunday - they are still religious and very strict. Not a problem on the Catholic Uists! The boat trip from North Uist to South Harris across the Sound of Harris is beautiful - the water is only a few feet deep and sandy and crystal clear and the Harris west coast beaches are stunning - but mind that water is very cold even in August! It is also worthwhile heading across and down the west coast of Lewis for stunning scenery and the Butt of Lewis for its drama too. The moorland road across from west of Callanish in the north of Lewis is a treat and incredibly quiet.

stumpy66

Veteran
A 7day Island rover ticket cost me £51 last year and we could make as many trips on Calamc ferries as we wanted, no need to book as already stated, plenty of power points available to charge phones etc

Thanks to all your contributions.
Yes my greatest reservation is the weather. Have been discussing with the kids, with questions like do you want an adventure? to which the answer is yes. Then mentioning that with every adventure comes some hardship....I am still monitoring their motivation. I heard that it is OK to put bikes on buses, but was wondering how many bikes you can get on one bus since we will have 4. As mentioned by one person, also considering taking a car over should the weather turn foul for a long time to provide more options. My concern here is getting on the ferrys between islands since I would not like to book. Thanks again for all your thoughts.

I think you have to plan for the bottom line equation here. Only you know your kids and preparing them for the hard times is very necessary and unless you are lucky and you might be, a tour of the Hebrides will involve some tough days. Wind or rain or both. How will they handle that and how much of it will they handle and even if they do, is this likely to make them think twice about doing something like this again, that's what you need to ask yourself first before you get down to the nitty gritty of how, where and when.

The trouble with the Outer Hebrides is, yes they are wonderful but there are few wet weather alternatives, for kids that is. If you throw in camping with bad weather, you need to be very sure about their motivation, at least hostels will give you or them, a relief from it all, to gather strength and go again the next day.

I may well be well off with those thoughts, I'm merely outlining the thought process when I took my own two on their first tour last summer. What applies to me, may not apply to you and yours but I just want you to be sure you've thought it through. You could easily tough out a bad tour but put them off for life or, with careful planning, make even a bad tour a success. Making the touring part of a larger holiday with the emphasis not just on the riding, a rest day, sights to see, things to explore etc.... those are the things I would plan with my two as it gives a focus elsewhere as well.

None of that may apply to you but I offer it anyway, in case it's useful.

OP
OP
GraemeG

GraemeG

Considering everything have decided to take the car. Will book ferrys, missing out Barra but coming back through Skye. Will aim to wild camp - to me this should be great. Having the car will give some flexibility with what we do vs weather and motivation. Also can take kajaks - we have two, 2-seater sit on tops which have been great fun our our previous trips to scotland. The problem with taking the car is that you tend to over use it too much, but will try to aviod this and get the kids to cycle as much as possible. Also means our Jack Russel terrier can come too! Will let you know how we get on.

Top Bottom