Camping throughout Tour Aotearoa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeorgia

Where does everyone camp while cycling the route? I'm having such a hard time finding places to sleep

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I suspect you're not likely to find too many folks on Cyclechat who are familiar with the route; the majority of members are based in the UK ... but you never know!

When I was there a few years ago, although I was only on the North Island and wasn't doing the TA, I occasionally came across a few riders who were. Those occasions tended to be at campsites such as the one just outside Taumaranui and later in Martinborough. Talking to these folks though it seemed they would aim for campsites where possible, but sometimes be obliged to wild camp. I guess that would be even more likely on the south island.
You don't mention where you're from or whether you're familiar with the area, so here's a (possibly) helpful local site.

Where does everyone camp while cycling the route? I'm having such a hard time finding places to sleep

Hello & welcome! That's a pretty impressive route to be contemplating and an intriguing first post.

For general info there's always CrazyGuyOnABike.
For mapping, accommodation and other information there's Osmand and the great Cycle.Travel
iOverlander can be useful for finding accommodation too, not just camping.

If, by any chance, you are on the route now and need immediate assistance then I'd suggest: the people you meet, Feckbook, AirBnB, B00king, Couchsurfing & Warmshowers.

If you are in the planning stage then, as Ian has said above, wildcamping will be required unless you can travel vast distances in a day. Watch out for the Hobbits! ^_^

Top Bottom