Campsite, Forest of Bowland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpj84

Veteran
You can camp at Whitehough Outdoor Centre, on the edge of Barley.

Incidentally, we (several generation of Lancastrian family) always knew the wider area as the Trough Of Bowland - the Forest Of Bowland seems to have taken over as the 'standard' name: my mother will certainly never be using it :laugh:

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru

Incidentally, we (several generation of Lancastrian family) always knew the wider area as the Trough Of Bowland - the Forest Of Bowland seems to have taken over as the 'standard' name: my mother will certainly never be using it :laugh:

Many thanks, yes, Trough of Bowland. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Can't see the appeal... :whistle:

Trough of Bowland valley in autumn sunshine.jpg

But some cyclists DO seem to like it! :okay:

Trough cyclists.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member

several generations of my family refer to it (and the wider county) as the dark side:okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Whereabouts is that memorial plaque, @ColinJ ? I presume it's somewhere in the Trough (the actual Trough, as marked on the OS map, rather than the F of B in general)? I have failed to notice it on the several dozen times I've been through there.
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1900323

no more info on Jack though - Was trying to see if he were a distant relative but v unlikely. unfortunately shares same name as a aussie ultra cyclist.

Ahhhh.... thanks for that @T4tomo . It's cunningly hidden just over the huge wall on the opposite side of the road from where I almost invariably stop for some food ...

Actually, from where I stop and lean the bike, right at the col, it literally is hidden, being an awful lot smaller than it looks in Colin's image, and also next to the mighty fine, grade II listed 'Grey Stone of Trough' - that triangular thing to the left - which was the historical boundary marker between civilisation and that other place.
Capture.JPG

ColinJ

The reason that you don't notice it is probably because by then you are powering your way over the summit.

The reason that I DID notice it was because by then I was resting after grovelling my way up to the summit! :laugh:

I have just noticed that Bill Bradley was only my age when he died! :eek: I had better get more decent rides in while I still can... :whistle:

ColinJ

I have just noticed that Bill Bradley was only my age when he died! :eek: I had better get more decent rides in while I still can... :whistle:

Actually, I am already 2 years older... my maths skills are wearing out! :laugh:

Top Bottom