Campsites in the Trossachs/Loch Tay area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
Just as the weather takes a turn for the worse, I thought I should head up to Scotland for some Munro bashing. :ohmy:

Usually I would use my small green tent which can be slotted in anywhere, but this is a full family turnout so we need a 'proper campsite' with 'proper facilities'. Can anyone suggest somewhere suitable in the area between Killin - Tyndrum - Lochearnhead?

I do know the main campsite in Killin, but was looking for somewhere less municipal and quieter, preferably free of shed-draggers and Glaswegian teenagers brim-full of Buckie. The Cruachan Farm site on the north side of Loch Tay was pleasant last time I was there, but we could do with somewhere further south and west. Unfortunately most of the places on tinterweb are caravan sites or holiday cottages and some don't accept tents.

All suggestions gratefully received....

sleekitcollie

hi ive put my tent up here , but it was part of a group ( motorbikes ) we hired some wigwams dont know if they normally take tents but u could check . the place is ok , shop , common room with tv kitchen showers toilet etc and a pub just along the road , been in worse but been in better as well

http://www.wigwamholidays.com/Strathfillan_Wigwam_Village

there is also a campsite nxt to The Drovers Inn at Ardlui http://www.thedroversinn.co.uk/
not been on the campsite but heard its quite good sorry dont know details off it but if u give the Drovers a call they will give u the info . the Drovers is well worth a visit for a meal and they do superb entertainment in the evenings
ps if u dont agree with stuffed wildlife on view this is prob not 4 u , but its a facinating place and great food

toroddf

There is some proper campsites on the road and on the sideroads from that road (A84) going between Lochearnhead and Callander. If needs be, there is also campsites in Callander. There are also campsites at Loch Earn.

Nice campsite at Strathyre about 9 miles north of Callender. Friendly owners and nice facilities. Can be reached on the cycleway.

Also 5 miles further on there is a site at Ballquider Station.

toroddf

bikepacker said:
Nice campsite at Strathyre about 9 miles north of Callender. Friendly owners and nice facilities. Can be reached on the cycleway.

I went past it 14 days ago and it seems like a brilliant campsite.

The one at Ballquider Station have a good website and the owner seems to be bending backwards to help their customers.

OP
OP
A

ASC1951

Guru
Thanks for all that, people. If it wasn't a car and four people arriving at 10pm, I would just chance it as I drove along, but on this occasion I need to book before we set off.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There's a very quiet site at Tyndrum. The owner actively discourages loud groups. I used the site on my LEJOG and JOGLE rides and it's only downside is a large presence of the Caledonian Luftwaffe though they were easily repealed with Avon Skin So Soft. The site is used by Munro bashers I met several of them in the communal kitchen dining area. There's also a great chip shop just round the corner :-)

Top Bottom