Campsites near Glasgow, and ncn 754

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samid

Veteran
Hi all,

I am coming to Scotland in two weeks, and am going to ride up along the west coast, starting from Edinburgh and initially following the Union canal to Falkirk, and then the Forth and Clyde canal to Glasgow. I have ridden the path from Edinburgh to Falkirk, but have not gone past Falkirk. So have a few questions:

- how is the Forth and Clyde canal path? good/bad/enjoyable/dull/...?
- are there any nice campsites near Glasgow along/not far from that path?
- once past Glasgow, I am going to follow route 75 to McInroy's Point and take the ferry to Hunter's Quay, and follow the coast up from there - anything wrong with that part?

Any other advice/thoughts would also be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dmitry.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Route 75 in Port Glasgow can sadly have more than usual broken glass in places...from Paisley to the junction with Route 75(Linwood) and the rest to McInroys Point, the path is excellent..
If you need any more help about the Route 75 area, just use the message facility on the forum.
I'll be glad to help:okay:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Edinburgh to Falkirk can be rough in paces. From the Falkirk Tunnel onwards to the Wheel (and beyond) most is now tarmac and very smooth.
The scenery is lovely :smile:
I've only cycled as far as Kilsyth but it wasn't too bad - couple of single track type type sections but perfectly rideable.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
As @ScotiaLass said, Edinburgh to Falkirk is rough and muddy, much better surface after the Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow.
I wouldn't say it's extremely scenic. Can be difficult riding on a windy day, as it's quite exposed.
Don't know of any campsites, sorry.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have ridden that part (Edinburgh to Falkirk) a couple of times, last in 2011 I think. It was ok IIRC, indeed a bit muddy at times but not bad overall. Has it got worse since then?
My tender bits resent the roughness of the surface :laugh:
It's all right on sturdy tyres. One needs to take care not to fall into the canal on some slippery bits.

Top Bottom