Campy 'Khamsin' wheel set to replace R500s-8speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
My Shimano 'R500/501s are getting a bit graunchy. I've serviced the hubs but they are still rough so I was looking at these.... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-khamsin-asymmetric-g3-wheelset/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360579086&kpid=5360579086&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sVKlUdcb0_dc|pcrid|67090789142|pkw||pmt||prd|5360579086uk

........crikey - thats a long URL!:eek:

And wondering whether they would make a good replacement. (with Shimano free-hub obviously!). I don't really want to change out my whole (8spd Sora) groupset and I am kind of hoping they might be 8spd compatable-or if I needed some kind of 'spacer' what that might be and whether they are easily obtainable and fitted.

Any wisdom much appreciated.

Best

w

PS-I've looked through wiggles FAQ's but there doesn't seem to be a single answer one way or the other......as if wiggle staff aren't QUITE sure!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Why not save a few quid, have no faffing about with the freehub and fit these -

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rs11-alloy-clincher-wheelset?sku=5360668705&source=igodigital

I've used both Campag and Shimano wheels, and while the Campags were bullet proof the Shimano's were even more bullet proof.

OP
OP
Widge

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi Joe,
Thanks, Yup I've looked at some alternatives too.....all are advertised as newfangled (!) 10/11 speed which makes me wonder whether old school dinosaurs like me running sora 8spd triple can go for them. My 8spd is running well and I am quite happy with it. Clearly spacers exist but which ones and whether they carry any secret agenda is a bit of a mystery to me!

Thanks for your thoughts.

w

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know about using Khamsins for 8spd but I have been using a pair for about 4 years and have had no problems with them. I got mine for one of my 9spd (Campagnolo-equipped) bikes when they were on special special offer at £99 for the pair! I think they are nice wheels for not a lot of money.

U

User33236

8 speed will fit with the relevant spacers.

As you probably noticed above you shouldn't shorten Campagnolo to anything, especially Campy, without risk of offending the loyal fans.

OP
OP
Widge

Widge

Baldy Go
You called them Campy, so you don't deserve them.

Whoops.
Sorry :blush: !

I was just trying to save ink.

Maybe I'll just stick with some Shimmy wheels when the time comes?
But those Gentullio Campagnolo Khamsin Asymmetric G3 wheels sure look spanky.

w

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Hi Joe,
Thanks, Yup I've looked at some alternatives too.....all are advertised as newfangled (!) 10/11 speed which makes me wonder whether old school dinosaurs like me running sora 8spd triple can go for them. My 8spd is running well and I am quite happy with it. Clearly spacers exist but which ones and whether they carry any secret agenda is a bit of a mystery to me!

Thanks for your thoughts.

w

Just try your cassette on the new wheels if it needs a spacer then they can be bought from auction sites very cheaply (few pounds).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrd5XAQfgaA

Attachments

• Tulips.jpg
    Tulips.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom