Campy rear hub pawls mystery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mitford

Impressive Member
When I slid off the freehub the pawls fell off. How on earth do you get them to stay in position when reassembling the freehub?

Sounds like your pawl spring is bust, it holds them in place.

p7492_250.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mitford

Impressive Member
Thanks very much HLab. My pawls don't have anything like that groove for the spring to sit in, so I'm wondering if it is some different arrangement.

Some pawls have individual springs under each one - there is a little hollow in the pawl and the hub that the spring fits into.

The springs will look like a shorter version of this

2qcmh4h.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mitford

Impressive Member
Thanks Pete, that is what I have. It seems very difficult to keep the pawls and springs in place while sliding the freehub into position. I wonder if I'm missing something.

Thanks Pete, that is what I have. It seems very difficult to keep the pawls and springs in place while sliding the freehub into position. I wonder if I'm missing something.

With a bit of experience you can position the freehub outside the hub and then gently tease each pawl into the hub in turn.

However the best bet is to get a very small rubber band and put it around the pawls so that it holds them down and in place.

Then thread some dental floss through the rubber band.

Insert the pawls three quarters of the way into the hub and pull the band away with the floss.

Finally insert the freehub all the way - job done.

OP
OP
M

Mitford

Impressive Member
Ah Pete, you're a hero. I tried my own version of this yesterday using thread to hold the pawls, but that wasn't very successful, I'll have a go later with the lacky band.

OP
OP
M

Mitford

Impressive Member
Brilliant Pete, thanks again, it worked like a dream, I used a thin elastic band, knotted to shorten it, and that meant I didn't need the floss.

Top Bottom