Campy wheel bearing cones are pitted, do I (can I) replace the cups?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mitford

Impressive Member
The front wheel was making a sound somewhere between a clunk and a click, I have dismantled the hub and I see that the cones are slightly pitted, so I will have to replace them and the balls, but do I need to replace the cups, and if so, is it an easy job?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The front wheel was making a sound somewhere between a clunk and a click, I have dismantled the hub and I see that the cones are slightly pitted, so I will have to replace them and the balls, but do I need to replace the cups, and if so, is it an easy job?

No need to replace cups if they are not pitted. I don't believe cups for front cup and cone hubs are replaceable economically, generally.

I'm not sure what model it is but all the internals are replaceable in theory.

The cups are replaceable with a bitt of effort and expense IF you can find them - google Campagnolo Ball Cups.

The cones should be marked - so try and get new Campagnolo exact copies. They come in two flavours - black coloured race for lower groupsets and highly polished shiny races for Chorus and Record.

It will help if you identify the model and year

see http://velobase.com/ListComponents.aspx?SearchID=0529a2df-3dc4-471b-a2a9-f253db682a23

Top Bottom