Can a cut Christmas tree be replanted?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That wouldn't work because no branch is going to be symmetrical. No, they're grown pretty much to size (a friend of mine sells them, so I do know).

Many moons ago my mother would venture out in December with a saw to the embankment of a nearby dual carriageway and hack a chunk off a conifer to use as a Christmas tree. You are right, they were never particularly symmetrical.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's unlikely but you never know. In the days when fence posts were rough cut and untreated, occasionally they did take root. It probably depends on the type of tree.

Cut it at an angle before putting it in the ground.

Jameshow

Veteran
Also a cut tree isn't really a tree. It's a branch from a much bigger tree.

Not in terms of a Christmas tree. They are grown to that size and cut down. They don't prune a big tree to produce lots of little Christmas trees 🌲🌲🌲🤣🤣🤣

Julia9054

Guru
One particularly disorganised year, we bought a tree with roots in a pot from a supermarket reduced to £5. It was about 1m tall.
We brought it inside every year. It lasted 5 years by which time it was almost touching the living room ceiling and we repotted it once. I have no gardening skills and one summer it just randomly died.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I always keep an eye out for the supermarkets that are selling the potted ones of cheaply but they are normally in a sad state by that time and they still want £10 for them

tom73

Guru
One particularly disorganised year, we bought a tree with roots in a pot from a supermarket reduced to £5. It was about 1m tall.
We brought it inside every year. It lasted 5 years by which time it was almost touching the living room ceiling and we repotted it once. I have no gardening skills and one summer it just randomly died.

It mostly died from lack of water which can be from damage the session before.

Many growers have offered for a few years now option to rent a tree thats pot grown. This model is quite popular with community based companies and open farms. Some let you label it and rent the same one over next few years. Once too big they plant them out and they become stock. The next big thing coming over over the next few years is organically grown ones the industry has been working with the soil association for years on it. The 1st few should be out it time for this Christmas.

Generally I always say buy direct from a grower most of the ones you buy have been shipped in and get cut down months before.
Precut always use a stand than hold water and top it up every day with good pint full. How ever you buy a precut always cut off a good few inch from the base into fresh wood. Then a good 24 hours before you bring them in leave it standing in bucket of water.

tom73

Guru
I always keep an eye out for the supermarkets that are selling the potted ones of cheaply but they are normally in a sad state by that time and they still want £10 for them

Be careful about ones in pots many are ones dug up and potted up so never have enough root ball to last. It's a quick way to add value to one. Christmas tree are not the only things to sold like that in the plant world.
Look for a truly pot grown one from the start they will be all in one piece and if you look after them should last for years.

Julia9054

Guru
Many growers have offered for a few years now option to rent a tree thats pot grown
That's a great idea. I've always been uncomfortable with bringing a tree inside to slowly die but mostly object to the huge expense
I don't bother with a tree these days but decorate the house with offcuts from my garden

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I put some hormone routing powder on one a few years back - and it did take and start to grow - but then a blazing hot summer fried it !

I did wonder about hormone rooting powder .
I watched a link where an American guy re planted loads and he drilled loads of small holes in the lower 10" or so then just planted them and left them and had quite a high level of success

tom73

Guru
I did wonder about hormone rooting powder .
I watched a link where an American guy re planted loads and he drilled loads of small holes in the lower 10" or so then just planted them and left them and had quite a high level of success

The root growth if any will never match the amount of water lost. You're talking giving it gallons water every day even in wet weather.
A properly prepped stream or leave cutting has a change of taking. Even then anything thicker than 1/2inch and your pushing it. But a fully grow tree you've no chance it's sadly a lot more use as compost than a living thing.
If you think about it a plant / tree to have any real chance of surviving being moved you need dig up a rootball apox the plants width. You see the massive ask you have for effective a tree size cutting to make roots to live.

Top Bottom