Can a Townsend be Vintage, or, a Classic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The Covid Pandemic resulted in this Townsend Beartooth emerging from where ever it has been hidden for the past 30(?) years.

A friend of second youngest daughter, was given it by his father-in-law, and, I was volunteered by my daughter to make it "rideable" again.

At first sight, front mechanism seized, tyres flat, chain has not seen lubrication in a very long time. On closer examination, brakes binding, wheel bearing overtightened and binding, tyres, although they held air, once inflated, had cracked walls.

One days effort and everything now works, as well (or badly, depending on your point of view), as it it did when new.

New tyre on back wheel, just have to wait for new front tyre to arrive.

The frame number is still visible (5Y41316), and, the frame is labeled with BS6102:1.

I am aware that, even when new, it was probably slightly below "entry level", and, I can find no information via Google, other than derogatory comments. If anyone knows how old it is etc, I would be interested to know.

Despite it's humble pedigree, I am impressed that so little effort restored it to a working bicycle.

I think, when I have fitted second tyre, I will have quadrupled it's value ;)

IMGP4642.JPG

IMGP4643.JPG

IMGP4644.JPG

IMGP4645.JPG

IMGP4646.JPG

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not vintage, or a classic, I'm afraid. My Townsend that I picked up and got as new went for £21 on eBay last week. It rode OK, changed gear, stopped and was a working bicycle. That's all.

They're basic MTB's but easily serviceable. I'm guessing the basic parts makes them easy to get going again.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not vintage, or a classic, I'm afraid. My Townsend that I picked up and got as new went for £21 on eBay last week. It rode OK, changed gear, stopped and was a working bicycle. That's all.

They're basic MTB's but easily serviceable. I'm guessing the basic parts makes them easy to get going again.

Yes, that is as I suspected, two tyres (Schawalbe Silenceo) at £26 the pair, is the limit of (sensible) expenditure, I think.

But, quite impressed it could be made rideable with so little effort, after years of neglect.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yes, that is as I suspected, two tyres (Schawalbe Silenceo) at £26 the pair, is the limit of (sensible) expenditure, I think.

But, quite impressed it could be made rideable with so little effort, after years of neglect.
It's impressive that a sensibly designed basic bike like that could easily give 50 years service with just a little TLC every 10 years.

Good work!

I compare that with a neighbour's 3 year old full suspension bike from a well known high street shop that is scrap because of its unnecessarily complicated design. Incidentally it probably weighs twice as much as your Townsend @BoldonLad

Drago

Legendary Member
It could be vintage by virtue of mere age in another few decades, but it can never be considered a 'classic'.

They have no redeeming or desirable features, no historic significance, and no provenance, so it could live to be 200 years old and will never be a classic - that is an attribute open to much debate, but is nevertheless one which indisputably requires more than mere age to attain.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was going to scoff at your 30 years, recalling that I bought one, from a garden centre of all places, soon after I bought my first house, which I now realise was early mid 90's so you weren't far off. They are about as classic as a basic halfords careera will be in years to come. serviceable low end shimano stuff

It could be vintage by virtue of mere age in another few decades, but it can never be considered a 'classic'.

They have no redeeming or desirable features, no historic significance, and no provenance, so it could live to be 200 years old and will never be a classic - that is an attribute open to much debate, but is nevertheless one which indisputably requires more than mere age to attain.
I think the "Classic Car" community take a very different view: any vehicle made before the qualifying date is a "Classic".

Perhaps the difference is affordability; in their day, only a "gentleman" could afford a new one; whereas a teacher or similar could aspire to a basic velocipede.

Townsend still owe me money for a list of new model names I compiled for them in 1988.

I don't think 'Beartooth' was one of mine.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Townsend still owe me money for a list of new model names I compiled for them in 1988.

Well I can't remember what model mine was called, so maybe it was off your list they thought the list wasn't worth a lot :laugh:

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I was going to scoff at your 30 years, recalling that I bought one, from a garden centre of all places, soon after I bought my first house, which I now realise was early mid 90's so you weren't far off. They are about as classic as a basic halfords careera will be in years to come. serviceable low end shimano stuff

I had no real idea of it's age. I based my guess on three things:

1. the rudimentary indexed gear change
2. the centre pull brakes
3. most significant, the bicycle was given to my daughter's pal, by his father-in-law. The father-in-law is over 80 years old, and, has not been "active" in the twenty years I have known him

It is not really important, just mild curiosity, because, I find, as you get older (now 73), things which seem "recent" have a habit of being many, many years ago, pre-historic almost ;)

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace

Was 'Rockhopper' one of yours? My son bought a purple one second hand from a friend to do his paper round in the lates 90s!

[Edit: just remembered it was his later Specialized one that was the Rockhopper... sorry]]

Drago

Legendary Member
I think the "Classic Car" community take a very different view: any vehicle made before the qualifying date is a "Classic".
The industry defines it as such, particularly insurers. The sales side also use the distinction as an excuse to charge ,ore.

But enthusiasts see it differently. Simply being old alone does not make a classic. There needs to be significance of some sort aside from simple age, benit historic, social, provenance, etc.

A sheet car today will simply be an old sheet car in 50 years time. However, a sheet car owned by The Queen, or used in a famous bank robbery, or that appeared in a much loved TV series, might have an argumentnfor being a classic.

Top Bottom