Can an old spin bike be used to connect on Zwift etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
The spare bedroom is to small for a turbo and bike so i have an old spin bike in there with a laptop, is it possible to set this up to get online and use the

online options such as Zwift.

wonderloaf

Veteran
A quick Google revealed this:

View: https://youtu.be/KPokCgVUKIY

OP
OP
DiddlyDodds

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I watch Two Wheel Cycling all the time on YouTube and never seen this one, its a good solution but i have come up against this issue before with the pedal thread being really small , much smaller than a standard clipless pedal, when i got the spin bike i was going to put clipless pedals on but could not get any with the small thread and the cranks were not big enough to tap out to the bigger thread, so i doubt the solution here of power pedals will work.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'd have to bodge a Garmin or equivalent speed sensor (cadence and wheel speed) to the spin bike. But you'll have the big issue of using gears, which you can't (needed for the hills to simulate resistance).

With a dumb turbo trainer, you change to a harder gear going up-hill on your bike (opposite of normal), to increase resistance. It works though. Works well enough to see if you like zwift, then I went out and bought a Smart Trainer

Top Bottom