Can anybody quickly let me know what you think of this tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tedx

It's a vango Tornado 200

http://www.vango.co.uk/products/tentsInfo.aspx?productid=35&modelid=37&id=21

I'm cycling through Gemany, French Alps, France, Pyrenees then through Spain. Is this tent too big? too heavy?

The pros are you can errect the outer water proof sheet before the inner when it's raining, the porch is a good size and the colours are stealthy for wild camping. It also only costs £180

Should I be going for a smaller tent as not to be seen and maybe something lighter? The weight is 3.30kg (3.10kg packed)

Thanks guys

We've got a Vango Spectre 200 which is very quick to put up (you can do it one), 2.5kg and you can get them for 80 quid. We stayed dry through a massive thunderstorm in France last year. Plenty big enough for two, maybe bigger than you need if it's just you?

Chris James

Über Member
Vango tents are great in my experience. It is perhaps a bit hefty, but that is due to it's large porch and semi geodesic design. If you want light then you need to be looking at tunnel tents.

Having said that,, that one looks bombproof.

I have a Vango Tempest 200, which weighs in at 2.5Kg according to that site. I got it for about £90 IIRC.

sadjack

Dave Davenport said:
We've got a Vango Spectre 200 which is very quick to put up (you can do it one), 2.5kg and you can get them for 80 quid. We stayed dry through a massive thunderstorm in France last year. Plenty big enough for two, maybe bigger than you need if it's just you?

I got one of these too! Loads of room for one plus all your luggage, weight is acceptable in my view. Cant claim to have been in a thunderstorm in it but its about to be used for a second season and the price is good.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Tedx said:
It's a vango Tornado 200

http://www.vango.co.uk/products/tentsInfo.aspx?productid=35&modelid=37&id=21

I'm cycling through Gemany, French Alps, France, Pyrenees then through Spain. Is this tent too big? too heavy?

The pros are you can errect the outer water proof sheet before the inner when it's raining, the porch is a good size and the colours are stealthy for wild camping. It also only costs £180

Should I be going for a smaller tent as not to be seen and maybe something lighter? The weight is 3.30kg (3.10kg packed)

Thanks guys

I wouldn't worry about the colour of your tent. I don't with:

• My blue Vango Spirit 250 TBS

• My purple vango Hydra 200+
Stealth camping is more about finding somewhere out of the line of sight of occupied buildings and public roads and pitching late and leaving early.

As for weight - both of my tents are at the 2 - 3 kg borderline. It's not an issue unless you are a weigh weenie.

As for space both of my Vangos are 2 person tents and it is nice to have the room to squirm around in and have all the luggage in with you too.

Single persons tents are fine. I have one and use it for short 3-4 day tours but prefer larger tents for longer tours - irrational but it's my preference.

With reference to your tent - the Vango Spectre is a cheaper and viable option. I have bought one for my son for his forthcoming European tour and I'm impressed with the quality.

I'd not worry about the weight too much.

tourdottk

Tedx said:
The pros are you can errect the outer water proof sheet before the inner when it's raining, the porch is a good size and the colours are stealthy for wild camping.

1. The outer b4 the inner feature is the only type of tent I would buy for cycle touring (first and foremost stipulation) and if you have ever been caught in a rainstorm trying to erect any other sort of tent then you'll know why.

2. great porch space. Added bonus!

3. Colour: great and have to disagree with comments about stealth camping being more about finding somewhere out of the line of sight of occupied buildings and public roads and pitching late and leaving early. That point is true, when the terrain lends itself to it, but what if you are in the mountains, it's time to find a spot and there is a cliff on one side of you and a massive drop on the other. You find the nearest, best flat bit of land that is as far away from the road as possible and you camp there. And I can tell you from experience, we are oh so very happy that our Helsport Tent blends in with its surroundings.

4. from the specs the stichting and pole inserts looks good too: check your tent well before purchasing.

5. I like the design: would give this a go myself next time round: tunnel tents (like ours) tend to have poorer airflow in hotter terrain (our only gripe with the Helsport). In the cooler spots and potential storm areas it is as solid as a rock.

6. It's a two person tent so I think the weight is fine. If you are caught in this tent in bad weather, then you will be comfortable providing the tent is sturdy and leakproof, which you'll never know about until you use it. Still that said, this one looks like and I quote Chris James "bombproof"

Sonya

Crankarm

Guru
delt1c said:
aftet a lot of research I opted for the Vango Spirit 200+, whilst there is only me it gives me plenty of space

Nice one. I like the look and spec of this tent and hope to upgrade to it at some point. Enjoy. Give us a review when you have used it.

nigelnorris

Just in passing, I'm thinking about a tent myself and checking up on the 2kg T2 Ultralight Pro mentioned above noticed that it's gone into the Decathlon sale today, 20 quid off at £59.99 now.

Top Bottom