Can anybody recommend a decent entry level steel roadbike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'm in the market for a new bike and am much impressed by the triban 3. At £300 it looks like a very fair bike for the price. Nothing too fancy but has everything I need and seems to be very well spoken of>
However I've had aliminium bikes before and found them to be a bit on the hard side. I've always liked steel and was wondering if there is anything on the market of about the same standard as the triban 3 but in steel. I've seen steel bikes but they tend to be more upmarket than my wallet will allow for and I can't see why there wouldn't be an equivalent of the triban3 in steel. After all I thought steel was cheaper than ali' (obviously there are different grades of each) and easier to make frames out of.
So, any ideas steel fans?

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I did see a cheapish steel frame on Evans cycles I think, will have a look in a minute. Didnt have carbon forks though and not 100% sure on the components

Sent from the Holodeck on my Tricorder

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
A £300 steel road bike would be made from scaffold tubing and would weigh approximately half a tonne.
I was afraid this might be the case. I wouldn't mind if it was just the regular tubing of a similar sort that used to be used on entry level road bikes. As long as it wasn't cheap to the point of being flawed. I've had basic road bikes made of steel before that weren't the lightest thing on earth but still ok for my modest needs. I can't imagine that it would be a great deal heavier than an ali frame of similar price. I know ali is lighter but they do have to use slightly more of it to get the strength. I think a lot of it is just down to steel being thought of as terribly inferior and if you cant afford carbon fibre then one should at least have some sort of ali.
Hey ho, Aliminium it will probably be then although I reckon a basic steel bike would also sell if it was made properly and as well appointed as the triban seems to be.

At that price range, the frame material really doesn't matter. You probably won't get any tube profiling or butting and tyre choice/pressure will have more impact on ride quality than anything else. As amaferanga says, steel at that price will be heavy and the bike will probably handle like a shopping trolley. At the very least with aluminium, you will probably be getting something lighter.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Have you thought about the Charge road bikes, often on special offer at Wiggle? I have seen them for around £500 and of reasonable spec, for that money. Not sure if they still do them or how much they are, these days, just an idea... I think if you are looking at £300 max, you're going to struggle. Probably need to consider second hand or stretch the budget a little?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Everyones buying Cubes and Tribans, whatever Tribans are I don't know ?

Some beautiful custom bikes can be had from local bike shops with what you want on some top quality frames

But what do I know ?

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
That's a very kind offer. Would you deliver it as well?
Seriously though at a glance that looks like a fair bike for the money but not quite what I'm after at the moment. After trying a bike with sti changers I am keen to have some of my very own and they are a component that really seems to rack up the price. Under other circumstances I would definitely look more closely at this model.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
That's a very kind offer. Would you deliver it as well?
Seriously though at a glance that looks like a fair bike for the money but not quite what I'm after at the moment. After trying a bike with sti changers I am keen to have some of my very own and they are a component that really seems to rack up the price. Under other circumstances I would definitely look more closely at this model.
Well I have got used to the downtube shifters now. However, they can be difficult on hills (when I need to change down quickly) and my rear derailer hanger is bent so I find it difficult to get into top gear.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I have a triban 3 perfect for a beginner.

Only things I've changed we're because of my height. apart from pedals.

New seat post and adjustable stem

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I've got bikes either side of the Triban 3. I've recently got the Triban 5 for triathlon. I've also been running the B'Twin Sport Ltd for the last 5 years as a commuter. Its the precursor to the T3. Aluminium frame, 16 STi gearing rather than the triple chainset of the T3.
Rides well, components have worn really well.
Just had a sevice and its like new :smile:
Not bad for a bike that retailed for £180

Top Bottom