Can anyone explain this printing glitch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We've been using the BBC Good Food website for years, but recently it's been proving impossible to print off the recipes. When you go to print, the preview comes up looking like this:

1618152360932.png

It's got the headline and the first line description, but after that, nothing. And if you do go ahead and print, that's what you get - a page that looks exactly like the preview page.

I've gone to the print settings, but I can't see anything there that looks as though it will be related to the issue. I'm stumped.

I'm getting by with screen grabs, but it's a bit of a pain. Just wondered if anyone might have any bright ideas?

This is what I got at my end.

1618155851787.png

D

Deleted member 23692

Easy way is to save the page you want to print as a MHTML Document (or .mhtml) and then print that or as much of it as you want

If you are using chrome then it's hidden via the three dots (top RH corner) then more tools, then save page as then select web page, single file for the drop down

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This is what I got at my end.

View attachment 583385
That's what we used to get. But now, as I say, everything 'below the line' is blank. Since it's not happening to you, I can't help thinking something must have got changed on my pc, but I've no idea what.

Oh, and thanks for the workarounds - that's basically what I've been doing. But I'd like to sort it if I can: it's a bore doing it via screen-grabs.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Faff about with screenshots, try browser add-ons or plugins, tell the BBC to add a 'Download as PDF' button, see if your printer software can be configured to handle it. It is a standing problem. In my opinion the Download as PDF button should be standard on all websites.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's what we used to get. But now, as I say, everything 'below the line' is blank. Since it's not happening to you, I can't help thinking something must have got changed on my pc, but I've no idea what.

Oh, and thanks for the workarounds - that's basically what I've been doing. But I'd like to sort it if I can: it's a bore doing it via screen-grabs.
Anything been changed in More Settings, and/or Margins?
Try dumping the headers and footers, see if that alters anything.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you are using Chrome & you click F12 do you get a page like this?

Would lso be good if one of those who can print it properly does it & sees what they get.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks
If you are using Chrome & you click F12 do you get a page like this?

View attachment 583515

Would lso be good if one of those who can print it properly does it & sees what they get.
Not exactly, but I do get this:

1618229357186.png

...which looks decidedly sub-optimal.

And yes, this is a Win10 beastie.

I've been to the link, but this kind of thing...

1618229464157.png

...is over my head. I think I'm just going to wait awhile and keep doing the screen-grabs until Unka Bill's wee code-elves have sorted it out and issued a new regular update to fix it.

At least now it makes sense! That's all I ask, really.

Thanks all.

aferris2

Guru
I think I'm just going to wait awhile and keep doing the screen-grabs until Unka Bill's wee code-elves have sorted it out and issued a new regular update to fix it.
Don't hold your breath. There seem to be far too many fixes which fix one thing and break something else. The biggest problem is working out what updates are going to be installed then remembering to put updates on hold until the failings have hopefully been discovered.
Even numbered versions of WIndows have not had a good reputation. Win10 was supposed to be the exception. I often wish I hadn't (up)graded from Win7 (more crashes / not responding in the last 3 months since installing W10 than the last 8? years of Win7).

Top Bottom