Can anyone help telling me year of my Carlton Cobra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chenzo 74

Hello hope someone can help me out , I’ve just purchased Carlton Cobra seller told me 1969, not sure I bought it as my later father used to work at Carlton cycles Worksop. Hope someone can help . Thanks pics below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 97

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Looks a nice bike. Is there a frame number somewhere?

Gunk

Guru
The rear mech is a Huret Eco (2490) which was introduced in 1976 and the Weinman 999 centre pull brakes are the later 1970's version. So my guess is mid 1970's. that first part of the number on the dropouts may identify the production year of the frame.

midlife

Guru
Mid 70's would have the standard Raleigh / Carlton numbering and Crespera lugs and different colours.. I wonder if the OP has checked the bottom bracket and behind the seat tube for another number.

OP
OP
C

Chenzo 74

Can’t find any other numbers apart from letter X under crank

Attachments

• A4E1E450-1062-406F-A8B6-671AB68B4996.jpeg
    A4E1E450-1062-406F-A8B6-671AB68B4996.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 8

carpenter

Über Member
I had a Carlton catalogue in my teens and used to lust over the Cobra frame :blush:

Thinking about the autosol though, wouldn't the chrome have had a lacquer coat?

:welcome:.
Your bike looks nice . I have a similar frame which was a bit rustier . My frame number was stamped into the back of the seat tube near the top . Your frame number looks similar to my Carlton Competition which was stamped on the left hand rear dropout .
The frame should be coated in a clear lacquer which was sprayed over the red and black paint after the transfers were applied .
There may be a date stamp on the back of the brake calipers which may help identify the year .
They look really nice once cleaned up .

Top Bottom