Can anyone identify this bike rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Very hard to see as the pic is small and blurry, but I have this on my disc braked Whyte. Looks like the one

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Topeak-Super-Tourist-DX-Disc-Rack_130495.htm

You'll need the correct type of bag to slide on, I have the one linked. Superb piece of kit, probably best cycling item I own (and I have a lot)

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Topeak-MTX-DXP-Trunk-Bag-_2555.htm

I thought you were selling the Trek as it's too small?

OP
OP
I

insurin

Thanks

I am selling it. My touring friend wants it and I want to make sure he can get the correct parts should he buy it. We are going Faro to Malaga via Ronda.

It looks like it is possibly a Topeak Super Tourist DX Bike Rack (non-disc version). I have one which fits my mtb with disc brakes without issue - something to do with the design and there being sufficient clearance. They do a disc brake version of the same rack as well. The only obvious difference between the super tourist and the one in the photo is that the bit where it attaches to the bike at the bottom does not appear to be vertical on the ebay photo if you look at the line. But it is seriously hard to tell from that photo!

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks

I am selling it. My touring friend wants it and I want to make sure he can get the correct parts should he buy it. We are going Faro to Malaga via Ronda.
Why not email the ebay seller?

The shape of the sides do look like the disc version but it is a pants picture. The non disc version is triangular, I have both

OP
OP
I

insurin

vickster: The eyelets on the Trek are a bit weird. Instead of screwing a bolt on to it, it looks like something just hooks on. see pic

upload_2014-1-21_11-4-32.png

vickster: The eyelets on the Trek are a bit weird. Instead of screwing a bolt on to it, it looks like something just hooks on. see pic

View attachment 36690
the Trek website shows this image http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_2_fx_disc/# which would suggest that the end of the eyelet comes out and you simply screw your nut into the eyelet - going by their own photo.

Asset_186652.jpg

View attachment 36690

Those will be two threaded "sockets" protected by plastic covers to prevent water ingress

Carefully pry off the plastic cap and you will see the threads, most standard racks can then be fitted

vickster

Legendary Member
Pictures of the Whyte

Attachments

• IMG_0032 (2).JPG
    IMG_0032 (2).JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
I

insurin

gottcha. Well I will firstly try the current rack from the old bike now that I know it's just the thread type. If I can't fit that (old bike never had disc brakes), I will get a disc brake compatible one. I'll see what the LBS has, failing that vicksters first link looks like it will fit..

cheers

Top Bottom