Can anyone identify this bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User42423

Hi Folk.

I recently bought this unknown gents sports bike. I bought it from the son the original owner, (apparently, he was a CTC man). Anyone, at some stage during it's life, it has lost it's original head badge (see image). It is a very plain lugged machine, with normal fittings for the era. The Sturmey hub is dated for 75, but the Williams chain-set is dated for 1952. It has clearly lead a hard life!!.
The most distinguishing feature (for me) is the location of the frame number. Unusually, it is stamped on the R.H.S front lower head lug.

The seat tube carries three transfers. 1) CTC, 2) YHA, & 3) Allins. (please note, the Allins is a 'renovated by' transfer, & not built by).

Attachments

• #1.JPG
    #1.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 95
  • #5.JPG
    #5.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 92
  • #7.JPG
    #7.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 92

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@User42423 that looks great and just needs a wipe down and mechanical overhaul and away it goes again , no idea re who and what

but very nice find

lukAs98

Hi @User42423. Can you upload more photos of the whole lugs so I can see the small bit of pattern you can just about see in the photo, a photo of where the headbadge once was to see if any sort of shape can be made out, the tops of the forks and finally, can you measure in inches from centre crank to top of the seat post?

Drago

Legendary Member
It's been "refurbished", which means the paint probably isn't original. A lot of the components loom much later. In interesting machine, but don't get a sniffy about repainting or replacing parts wholesale if you want to as that's the proverbial Triggers broom, with precious little to actually "preserve".

OP
OP
U

User42423

Unfortunately, I only have this 'other' image. I will drag the machine out tomorrow, and do some more pics.

Attachments

• #2.JPG
    #2.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 35

wisdom

Guru
Could be wrong but is one of the badges a youth hostel association badge

stevevw

Guru
Are the lugs not Brampton fishtail first shown in the 1929 catalogue also seen them in the 1939 Brown Brothers catalogue?

Top Bottom