Can anyone identify this bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Roberts

Hello.
I bought this at a car boot sale (£15) a while ago and I've just got round to playing with it. It has GB Courier 66 brakes, GB Superhood levers, GB bars and stem. A Lycett saddle and Cyclo Benelux, 5 speed, Super 60 gears and shifter. The 27" rims are steel and the front hub is a Weco or Meco Made in Germany. The frame has been very badly sprayed red, so I used some celulose thinners to rub it off. It has a nice Kingfisher blue paint scheme with a elongated white diamond on the seat tube, underneath. It has a Williams crankset. The frame has Made in Great Britain on the bottom bracket and there seems to be a shadow of the word "Speedking" on the down tube. The rear tyre is made in the Republic of Ireland! The front is a Braum from Czechoslovakia!
I would love to know the make of this bike.

Any ideas, anyone?

Attachments

• 20160326_164741.jpg
    20160326_164741.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 136
  • 20160326_164749.jpg
    20160326_164749.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20160326_164759.jpg
    20160326_164759.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20160326_164818.jpg
    20160326_164818.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 121

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hello.
I bought this at a car boot sale (£15) a while ago and I've just got round to playing with it. It has GB Courier 66 brakes, GB Superhood levers, GB bars and stem. A Lycett saddle and Cyclo Benelux, 5 speed, Super 60 gears and shifter. The 27" rims are steel and the front hub is a Weco or Meco Made in Germany. The frame has been very badly sprayed red, so I used some celulose thinners to rub it off. It has a nice Kingfisher blue paint scheme with a elongated white diamond on the seat tube, underneath. It has a Williams crankset. The frame has Made in Great Britain on the bottom bracket and there seems to be a shadow of the word "Speedking" on the down tube. The rear tyre is made in the Republic of Ireland! The front is a Braum from Czechoslovakia!
I would love to know the make of this bike.

Any ideas, anyone?
Nice :becool:

As to what it is..............................not a clue.

Daddybus

Über Member
Very nice...Got all the good stuff on... early 60's? (Williams crank should have date code) Unusual lugs... headbage rivit position may give a clue, any serial numbers on dropouts or seat tube?

midlife

Guru
BITD we stocked several sets of decals (transfers) that people put on their bikes that didn't come from a manufacturer of bikes.......just decals. For example we sold a set called "Chieftain" and another called "shooting star". Could be someone livened up an old frame with new generic decals?

Shaun

classic33

Leg End Member

rhm

Everything about it is consistent with an early 60's date ('61-'62, I'm guessing). There may also be a date on the saddle: stamped on the underside of the cantle plate (at the back), usually at the right side, you'll find a letter and two digits. So, for example:
A
would mean first quarter of 1961.
What is the seat post size? What are the dropouts?

The example that "midlife" has posted looks like it is from the 80s going by the crank and the brace/ brake mounting, it has similar seat stay ends as the OP so it would seem that the bike was in production for quite a few years.

Top Bottom